cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Photos page is changing...

The Photos page is changing...

Darren S.1
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution

I've just seen the banner that says "The Photos page is changing on 30 June 2017 but your pictures will stay safe in your Dropbox account. Learn more". The gist is that they are removing the final remants of the Carousel functionality - which makes me wonder what the point was in purchasing it in the first place:

"After that date, you’ll no longer be able to create or share albums on the web, or browse photos in the current timeline view. However, all your photos will remain safe in your Dropbox account."

Even funnier, it says:

"Creating a better photos experience

We’re continuing to work on new photos and file experiences on dropbox.com. As we learn more about how our users prefer to work with photos, we’ll launch improvements to the experience."

With these changes there will be no photos experience that is any different to normal files. If they remove camera uploads, that would be the last straw for me and I'll be moving to a different service.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

RichardDBX
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi everyone,

Thanks again for your continued feedback on our upcoming changes.

I wanted to let you know that we've heard your concerns about how difficult it is to preserve your album structures in Dropbox. Our engineers have created a simple album export tool to help make this process easier. It's available starting today at the following URL:

www.dropbox.com/photos/album_download

The tool will allow you to download your albums to your desktop as .zip files. Please note that you'll be downloading a new copy of your photos, not moving them, so the photos will still exist in your Dropbox in the original location you saved them.

We hope this tool will help alleviate some of the frustration that some of you have reported in this thread. If you have any problems using the tool, feel free to contact us via www.dropbox.com/support.

Regards,
Richard

View solution in original post

302 Replies 302

SonomaRose
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

...go through a number of complicated steps? Maybe it will be easire once implemented but for now it sounds like I need a new online program to EASILY share folders.  Too bad, I've been a Dropbox users for years and looks like I have to find a new solution.  

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

I've seen nothing that refers to changes in sharing folders. There are changes coming to the Photos page which will affect creating/modifying albums. Is this what you're referring to?

davidesq
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

This is so confusing. Are they saying that we won't be able to share photos, albums etc on the old site, but will allow this on new one?

Simone C.9
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

I am so so upset about this

Sharing albums was very helpful to a small business for many reasons

And they are actually going to get rid of my existing albums

Gutted

WHY?

@SonomaRose wrote:

...go through a number of complicated steps? Maybe it will be easire once implemented but for now it sounds like I need a new online program to EASILY share folders.  Too bad, I've been a Dropbox users for years and looks like I have to find a new solution.  

Simone C.9
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

AS you say, go through a load of complicated steps to re creat what I have already spent considerable time creating. 

Darren S.1
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution
No, they're saying there will be no more album sharing or photo viewing as it is now. Any photo sharing needs to be done through normal Dropbox mechanisms - shared folders, shared links - and photos will be viewable on a folder by folder basis just like other files in Dropbox - I.e. No timeline.

Suetycat
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I'm also very confused. It's imperative that I be able to put my photos into separate folders. Right now, they are saved to dropbox automatically from my phone. I then can organize them letter. Is this feature going away? ! This would be highly distressing and make Dropbox more or less worthless to me. 

RickL
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I have spent ALOT of time creating and organizing Dropbox photo albums over the years.  The "value added" that they provide is that a single photo file can be included in multiple albums, albums based on different themes, events, etc that all relate to that single photo.  I have also spent ALOT of time, working with thousands of photos to set the "Date Taken" file attribute, which is the default (and only) sort order available in Dropbox albums.

The recent Dropbox announcement about "changes" to the Photos page appears to take this all away, with no honest explanation offered, and no substitute functionality evident.

It is incredible to me that functionality would be removed from a product in this way. The claim that Dropbox is "focused on building better ways for you to work with all file types" would be laughable if it weren't so distressing.

Is "Date Taken" (and I'm not talking about "Date Modified" here) going to be offered as a sort option in the File list displays that we are left with?

The announcement states that "Dropbox won’t be able to automatically convert existing albums into folders", and instead I should create new file folders to match my albums and "Select the photos you’d like to move by clicking the checkboxes to the left of the file names".  Do you really expect me to do this for thousands and thousands of file names?

It's seeming to me that my time might be better invested elsewhere.

Suetycat
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
Exactly. They need to address these concerns right away.
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

M S.1 Collaborator | Level 9
    alphachannel Helpful | Level 6
    Anthony A.25 Helpful | Level 6
    PlanetJuno New member | Level 2
    Darren S.1 Collaborator | Level 10
What do Dropbox user levels mean?