cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This file cannot be previewed because you are offline

This file cannot be previewed because you are offline

timbr
Helpful | Level 5

Hi,

Since a while, I see this message when trying to view a dropbox link shared by others. I get this on Chrome, on Firefox and on Safari, so this is not a browser specific issue. Here's one example link where I get this problem. Even clicking download doesn't do anything. This thread on the forum seems to be related to my issue, but the problem seems to always get solved in direct communication with the customer, and no solutions are posted on the forum. When I Google this error message, there are no results, and neither is there any explanation of this specific error message on the dropbox site.

Kind regards,

Tim

45 Replies 45

timbr
Helpful | Level 5

Hey @Hannah,

Out of "proxy, VPN, firewall, security software, or even ISP/router," I can only see the ISP or router causing problems. I have no proxy, no VPN (using a VPN actually solves the problem), no firewall software, nor security software. Since using a VPN solves the problem, does that mean that my router is also not the culprit? Should I then blame the ISP? 

fmy
Explorer | Level 3

As of this morning, this is the fate of any file I try to access: Dropbox Nonsense.jpg

I've done the enabling-cookies thing (I use Chrome); nothing. 

I'll try restarting my computer and see what happens. 

My guess is that someone in Dropbox made some "improvement" that is the polar opposite of progress. Please unimprove things!

fmy
Explorer | Level 3

Doing a system restart seems to have repaired this glitch. Fingers crossed that it will stick. I find that more and more websites have become prisoners of developer-inflicted glitches--making the Internet and personal computing harder to use with ease. Such is the lot of the 21st century.

joe1shogun
Explorer | Level 3

I had this strange problem with both Firefox and Safari.  Right after I preview any video file (we stored only video file in Dropbox), then the next file I will get the message below.

Screenshot 2022-04-19 at 12.04.49 AM.png

Even I hit the same file I got the same message.  But then if I refresh the page, everything works again normal but again only once.  Everytime when I preview one file, the next thing came up is Couldn't preview this file unless I refresh again.  I re-start the computer and same result.

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @joe1shogun, how large is the file you're trying to preview? 

Are you currently logged into your account, or are you trying to view this file via a shared link?

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

joe1shogun
Explorer | Level 3

I have been doing the same thing and previewing all the files in Dropbox for at least over one year and never had any problem, so it is not a matter of file size or anything else.  I am trying to preview all files in Dropbox and there is no exception.  All files I can preview only once, and then I need to refresh otherwise I will get the same message....Cannot preview... with the stup.. guy looking at the teles....

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Is this occurring with any person that accesses the files, in any location or network?

Do you have any proxy, VPN, firewall, security software, or even ISP/router issues could be restricting traffic to the following Dropbox domains?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

lindamarea
Explorer | Level 3

I am also having the same issue and cannot send the files to my clients. 

I've disabled the firewall, the antivirus software, downloaded the app instead of using via the website... nothing and Im getting super desperate. 

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @lindamarea, how are you today? 

How are you trying to preview content? Do you access using the website, or the app?

Feel free to also send me a screenshot, so I can have visual. 

Thanks!

Megan
dropbox.com/support

lindamarea
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Megan

via both. Screen Shot 2022-06-08 at 3.58.15 pm.png

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

watcha Explorer | Level 4
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
    fmy Explorer | Level 3
    da_haigh Explorer | Level 3
    Nancy Dropbox Staff