cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What happens to files that were sent via a link that's expiring soon?

What happens to files that were sent via a link that's expiring soon?

Newtoforum123
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have photo files that were sent via link to my Dropbox account. This link expires in a few days. If the pictures are in my drop box, will they disappear when the link expires. Or should I download them to something more permanent, like a us but or flash drive.?? 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hello @Newtoforum123 - welcome to the Dropbox Community!

Files that were shared with others via a shared link with an expiry date (or via our Transfer feature) won't get deleted when the expiration date comes. It just means that others won't be able to access the mentioned link to get to the files the link points to as it will be disabled.

If you've already saved those files in your Dropbox account (or somewhere else), you'd still be able to access them even after the expiry of the mentioned link.

I hope this clear things up for you and I'm always around if you have any additional questions; just let me know and I'll be glad to follow up. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hello @Newtoforum123 - welcome to the Dropbox Community!

Files that were shared with others via a shared link with an expiry date (or via our Transfer feature) won't get deleted when the expiration date comes. It just means that others won't be able to access the mentioned link to get to the files the link points to as it will be disabled.

If you've already saved those files in your Dropbox account (or somewhere else), you'd still be able to access them even after the expiry of the mentioned link.

I hope this clear things up for you and I'm always around if you have any additional questions; just let me know and I'll be glad to follow up. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Newtoforum123
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Ok, that cleared it up for me. So as long as they are saved to a Dropbox or other external drive or flash stick. The pictures remain, just the link itself goes away. I've had Dropbox for years, and my friend has it too. She just wants to make sure she can access her pictures. There is a tablet, with her pictures on it, but it is not an I pad. And is well over 5 years old, and it doesn't load the pictures at all. But thank you for your help. I'm sure I'll have another question soon enough. 

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

I'm glad I could help @Newtoforum123!

No worries about the additional questions btw; just fire away :laughing:

In the meantime, enjoy the rest of your day!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Newtoforum123
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Sort of an off topic question. I have a google account, gmail, YouTube and I have the two step varification security feature on there. With a phone number that I have lost with the phone it was connected to. In an escalator stair case here in Mexico. Now I can not sign into google, and have lots of videos photos, games ect. Can't access any of it, due to the two step security feature. And I can not remember the password . How do I contact Google to get my account back. So I can take that feature off. It's been 2.5 years now maybe longer lol. Thank you.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

I'm afraid I won't be able to help with that @Newtoforum123.

Perhaps it would be better to use a web search to find what you're looking for in this case as I won't be able to help with Google's 2 step verification feature. 

That being said and as I'd like to help as much as possible, here's an article from Google's official support I think might help:

https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/185834?hl=en&topic=1099588&ctx=topic

I hope this points you towards the right direction and I'm always here if you have any follow up Dropbox questions. 

Good luck with recovering your Google account!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

vicki5scott
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have a similar question. message says that "your transfer hasn't been downloaded. It looks like your transfer IMG_0753.JPG hasn't been downloaded and the link will expire on (date)" What does this mean and what do I do about it? Thanks! 

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi there @vicki5scott; welcome to our Community!

The mentioned message (email most likely), is referring to a Dropbox Transfer you initiated from your account (for the referenced file) and is informing you that the recipient(s) haven't yet accessed/downloaded the content from your transfer and the link will expire at the quoted date from which point the link to the transfer in question won't be valid. 

I hope this clears this up a tad and I'm always a post away if you have any follow up questions. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropbox Staff
    vicki5scott New member | Level 2
    Newtoforum123 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?