cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When previewing audio files on Dropbox, the playback skips or drops out. Any ideas?

When previewing audio files on Dropbox, the playback skips or drops out. Any ideas?

Tinlinmusic
Helpful | Level 6

Hello, just wondered if any other music tech-y people have had any trouble with glitchy audio files when using Dropbox to share them?
A track that I have mixed and bounced down on my studio pc, which plays fine with no problems, once shared On DB if you listen to the track on a different device it is full of digital glitches and audio dropouts.
Any ideas?

66 Replies 66

kroft
Helpful | Level 6

Hi @Lusil ! Yes, it happens in at least Firefox and Safari, and also in the Dropbox iOS app. So far as I can tell the glitches are in the same place regardless of device or browser.

It happens with both mp4 and uncompressed audio (AIFF - I haven't tried WAV yet). But with mp4 it's specific glitches and clicks, whereas with AIFF it appears as a more general and continuous crackling.

It would be great to get this fixed! It has only recently started happening.

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Thanks for the additional information, @kroft

I'd be more than happy to help look into this a bit more in-depth, but we'd have to continue via email. 

Would it be alright if I send you one myself?

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

kroft
Helpful | Level 6

Hi @Lusil  - yes, by all means.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Thanks for confirming that for us @kroft.

I've sent you an email to look further into this matter together. 

At your convenience, please take a look at your inbox and we'll take it from there.

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Monumental
Explorer | Level 3
I’m also having the “audio glitch” problem. I’m a long time Dropbox user for audio with a very large Dropbox capacity. Never had a problem until 3 days ago.

I’m working on a major film scoring project with very long files (An hour and 45 minutes long). Each file is 250 gig and an mp3.

I sent my final mixes to a client two days ago. I listened to the mixes on a train ride to NYC to check them. I noticed audio glitches (dropouts in precise places, weird stereo phase shifting, distortion, etc). I thought it was the preview app, so once I arrived in NYC I downloaded the files to my computer. The glitches were persistent and in the exact same places in the downloaded files.

However, when I logged into my studio computer remotely and listened to the original files the glitches were gone!

I tried deleting the files on Dropbox and reuploading. Same problem with glitches in the same places. Finally I resent the files via Wetransfer and everything was fine, so the problem is Dropbox, and in particular something that they have changed that affects audio files.

My files were automatically synced using the Dropbox app for Mac OS. My OS is Mojave.

Anybody else still having this issue?

kroft
Helpful | Level 6

The problems you describe sound similar to the ones I encountered (and am still encountering from time to time), but in my case it's just playing from Dropbox directly that is problematic. If I download the files or choose "make available offline" the problem disappears. If you are finding that Dropbox is actually changing your stored files, this is much more worrying!

Monumental
Explorer | Level 3
Yes. I have downloaded the files on multiple machines and found the artifacts to be consistent in exactly the same places on the files. However, the original files, which are not stored in the Dropbox folder, are fine.

This is very worrying because when I send a client a file I want to be able to trust that it is the same file that originated on my computer! It should be an exact copy, and not a proxy. I do not want a compressed version that has been run through some behind the scenes data compression software that I am not aware of. I want them to get the same file, byte for byte.

Worse still, can you imagine backing up to Dropbox, only to find that all your audio files have been changed in random ways!?

SECRETSOUND
Helpful | Level 5

Wow.  This was going on a year ago and now it's back.  This is why I started using WeTransfer, Google Drive, and all these alternate servers.  Why am I paying Dropbox?  Audio is all I do.  Needs to be right on the other end and hassle free.  I wish they would take the resources away from giving out "badges" because we're on here and rectify this.

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Hi @Monumental, @SECRETSOUND, I'd recommend contacting the support team directly for them to investigate this matter in more detail on their end.

Once you get a ticket ID from the automated response, please let me know the number here so I can locate it in our system!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

kroft
Helpful | Level 6
Hi Jay - I’ve had a ticket open for some time about this. No. 12331149

All best
John
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    ezimore New member | Level 2
    Barbylucedistelle New member | Level 2
    Walter Dropbox Staff