cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File size changes from original upload

File size changes from original upload

Chandiggity
Explorer | Level 4

hi Dropbox community

I uploaded a few movie files that are around 30 gb each.  When I see them in my dropbox folder, first I need to click on the highest quality version in order to see it in its originally uploaded glory. HOWEVER. IT'S NOT even in its original glory, it seems you downgrade the quality! That is irksome, because I am paying for this service, to store my things, my work, to recall my work, or to send it - and to store at high quality (Its original quality!). 

Am I missing something ? Why does this have to be so confusing? When I change the 'quality' setting from the lowest grade - which is your default - to the highest grade, 4k - which is still not the original size - and I download it - the file size is way smaller - only 1000 mb (1gb).  1gb is not the original 29 gb. 

Anyone experiencing this issue, and find it infuriating, and can you help me or advise me.  What's the best way to transfer large video files to a computer besides 'image capture' etc., which also, funny enough, doesn't seem to work or be compatible with its own products (apple). 

Thanks!

10 Replies 10

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Chandiggity, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Dropbox doesn't change the size of your size or convert it to a smaller version, so downloading the file directly from the site would result in the same file size.

Previewing videos on the site can vary depending on your current plan.

If you have any further queries, feel free to message back.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Chandiggity
Explorer | Level 4

hi Jay

thank you for your response. this seems untrue, or I am simply not downloading correctly.

It should simply be: choose the quality of the video; then, press download ? 

Would the issue then stem from my device or the transfer? Something is off, so I dont' know what it is and it should all be so straightforward; I upload a video, as it is, in its original quality, size, format i choose.  

Thank you

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Does the video on the site show the full size when you view the details of the file? 

Could you confirm exactly how you're uploading the video file? 

Is it directly to the site, or by moving the file into the Dropbox folder to sync, or is a third party app uploading for you?

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Ahmed155
New member | Level 2

Hi, I had the same issue with both photos and videos and found out that when you upload using the website the sizes are going way down while in the meantime uploading using the app solve this issue for me.

Hope this will help you.

alianzaazlan
Explorer | Level 4

I have the same problem and it's frustrating because the quality of my drone footage goes way down.  Even for relatively small files.  I experimented uploading a HEVC (1.23 GB) video at 60 fps lasting 1:21 and uploaded both ways to dropbox: on the website and through file syncing on Mac.  

Both resulted in a tiny 1:21 min video, H.264, with file size of (386 MB).  Both at 4k 59 fps 3840X2160.  The original is much better resolution and frame fluidity.

At this point dropbox is not worth my investment and all be moving my files back to iCloud.  The most frustrating thing is the dishonesty in the replies above.  Clearly the file sizes are being compressed and in y case being converted from HEVC to h.264.  

Anyone else having these issues or are we all drinking the dropbox coolaid?

zazii
New member | Level 2

Hello, have you found any solution? I am facing the same issue..
please reply. What steps do you take.?

Ahmed155
New member | Level 2
Hi, I had the same issue with both photos and videos and found out that when you upload using the website the sizes are going way down while in the meantime uploading using the app solve this issue for me.

Hope this will help you.

alianzaazlan
Explorer | Level 4

My files were being reduced significantly when I was uploading this way:

*Clicking and dragging my 4k60 videos from Mac Photos or Photo Albums to the website drag box to upload

OR 

*Clicking and dragging from Mac Photos or Photo Albums to the sync folder on Mac.

Issue was resolved when I upload from the website or the mobile up using the /\Upload \/ button on either the web browser version AND the iPhone app.  Navigate to photos and click the video and it uploads in complete and original file format.  This leads to the correct bit rate of 

103443 kb/s on a 1:51 min (1.34 GB) file compared to 

25079 kb/s on the same length vid at (333 MB)

Cheers to uploading the slow and long way but at least with certainty you'll preserve original quality and formats.

Macadamia
New member | Level 2
I know this is a common question
But I've spent 45min reading user-questions as far back as a decade, with no clarity on how to download my photos at their original size

Im an iPhone user, and my settings & photo optimization is OFF.
How come, when I upload a 4mb picture to Dropbox, then turn around click "save image" and save back to my phone,
...the image is now 92kb ??

Thanks
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropbox Staff
    Macadamia New member | Level 2
    alianzaazlan Explorer | Level 4
    Ahmed155 New member | Level 2
    zazii New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?