cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

smart sync options disappeared

smart sync options disappeared

marshallcurry
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I have been using smart sync for years and sometimes the option disappears from my menu -- there is no icon to the right of the file name to indicate whether the file is on my desktop or in the cloud, and right-clicking does not bring up a "smart sync" option. (The only dropbox option that appears when I right click is "send a copy."  In the past when this happens, I have been able to reboot my computer to bring the options back, but it is not working now. I am using a 2013 macbook pro with catalina. I pay for Dropbox Plus plan and my dropbox version is 157.4.4808 It says that there was an update on Sept 17th and that might be when the problem started. Thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

marshallcurry
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Thanks - I did make sure the app was running, etc. but still couldn't get the options to appear until I followed these steps from the dropbox tech rep:

Select [your name] icon, select quit.

Open your Activity Monitor from your Mac Utilities folder

Force quit out of the instances of the Dropbox application that are running by searching for "Dropbox" in the search bar, then clicking on the "x" force quit icon on the top left

Then re-start Dropbox from the applications folder by double clicking on the Dropbox application

Then Click on the Apple icon in the top left of your screen

Click on "force quit"

Then, relaunch the finder

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@marshallcurry wrote:

there is no icon to the right of the file name to indicate whether the file is on my desktop or in the cloud

That will happen if the Dropbox app is not running. Before you restart next time, check to make sure the Dropbox app is running and appears in your menu bar. If it's not running, you won't have the icon overlays or the Dropbox context menu.

and right-clicking does not bring up a "smart sync" option.

Also keep in mind that there is no longer a Smart Sync menu when you right-click on a file. Instead, you'll just see the options Confirmed no computer access. and Make online-only. These options replaced the former Smart Sync menu.

marshallcurry
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Thanks - I did make sure the app was running, etc. but still couldn't get the options to appear until I followed these steps from the dropbox tech rep:

Select [your name] icon, select quit.

Open your Activity Monitor from your Mac Utilities folder

Force quit out of the instances of the Dropbox application that are running by searching for "Dropbox" in the search bar, then clicking on the "x" force quit icon on the top left

Then re-start Dropbox from the applications folder by double clicking on the Dropbox application

Then Click on the Apple icon in the top left of your screen

Click on "force quit"

Then, relaunch the finder

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

marshallcurry Helpful | Level 5
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?