cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: After latest Dropbox update, documents on Mac are set to open with Dropbox by default

After latest Dropbox update, documents on Mac are set to open with Dropbox by default

Dario1250
Helpful | Level 5

MacBook Pro M1 with the MacOS Ventura 13.1 installed. I use the Dropbox Plus plan, and I predominantly access files through my Finder app.

The Dropbox app notified me of the new update — I installed and waited for everything to sync and index. Now everytime I try to open a file from Finder (tried with .png, .pdf, .ai, .jpg and several other random filetypes), the system attempts to open the file with Dropbox, and nothing happens (the file doesn't open in the application it's supposed to open in by default). I have to go to the "Open With" right-click menu and select the proper application by hand everytime, which is a tad annoying.

Screenshots of Dropbox appearing on top of the "Open With" menu below, both with an "online-only" and an "available offline" dowloaded file.

Thanks in advance,

D.

Screenshot 2023-01-04 at 22.13.32.pngScreenshot 2023-01-04 at 22.16.23.png

38 Replies 38

Ian J.10
Helpful | Level 6

Hi Megan. My set up is exactly the same as the original poster (MacBook Pro M1 with Ventura 13.1 running Dropbox v164.4.7914) and I have the exact same issue. 😊

Andre_Leiva
Explorer | Level 4

Hi.

Same problem here!

The last few days have been a  nightmare... Any solution?

Please, let me know how my dropbox can work well like before the update.

My setup is a MacBook Pro M1 with Ventura 13.1 running Dropbox v164.4.7914

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hi all, thank you for flagging this with us.

I just wanted to mention that our engineers are aware of the problem and are working on a solution.

Sorry for any inconvenience this is causing and we'll make sure to update you shortly on this issue.

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Ian J.10
Helpful | Level 6

Super - thank you!

Andre_Leiva
Explorer | Level 4

Hi, @Walter Thank you!

Have a good day.

zjtest
New member | Level 2

Ever since upgrading to v164.4.7914 on macos ventura dropbox replaces the default apps for pdf docx etc file names. Going to file -> get info and changing the default application back to word/finder -> change all does not work. Does anyone know how to fix this???

Screenshot 2023-01-10 at 9.00.24 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-01-10 at 9.03.08 AM.png

 I have to do the steps in the images above inorder to get the file to open with the correct application and not dropbox.

kartoone
New member | Level 2

I am also having the same problem. M1 Mac with Ventura and updated to the latest version of Dropbox 164.4.7194

I've tried rebooting and tried "Open With" and then saying "Always open with", but it seems to default back to trying to open in Dropbox even though it says Word should be the default! I've also attached error message I am now starting to see when I just double-click anyway knowing that it won't open.

Screenshot 2023-01-09 at 9.26.07 PM.pngScreenshot 2023-01-09 at 9.26.31 PM.png

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @zjtest, I moved your post to this thread, which seems to reflect your issue.

Thanks for reaching out as well, @kartoone.

As Walter mentioned previously in this thread, our engineers are aware of the situation and are currently working on resolving it.

Thanks for letting us know and we'll update you on this, once we have more info.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

bluemigrant
Helpful | Level 5

I have this exact same issue on a MacBook (Inter CPU) with Ventuna 13.1 and Dropbox 164.4.7914.

philippgerard
Explorer | Level 4

Same problem here with Dropbox beta v165.3.4275 on Ventura 13.1 after a completely fresh install of both OS and Dropbox app.

Need more support?