cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

After today's upgrade (30 Nov 22), I cannot locate my Dropbox folder

After today's upgrade (30 Nov 22), I cannot locate my Dropbox folder

JCmk
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

After today's update, i cannot locate the Dropbox folder on my Mac Powerbook running OS 12.6 Monterey. The alias folder is still there on my Dock (but now withuot the Dropbox logo on it) and there is a Dropbox folder,. but now as an alias, in my user folder. But I cannot find where it is actually situated. The update message said it would it in the Library of my user folder: there is no library in my user folder. The message also referred to Cloud Storage, but there is no folder for that anywhere, nor any other reference to it - I do not use Apple iCloud. Any ideas?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

JCmk
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Using Go and searching for Users/myname/Library has revealed the Library folder. But there does not seem to be a way of getting it to show in the usual way like other folders.

Anyway - sorted!!

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @JCmk, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Can you check if you have a small Dropbox icon in your menu bar?

If so, please hover over it and let us know exactly which version of the app you're using and what the sync status is.

Have you also checked ~/Library/CloudStorage to see if you can locate your Dropbox folder there?

Keep me posted.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

JCmk
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi Hannah,

My Dropbox version is "162.4.5419 Up to date".

As I explained, I have no "~/Library/CloudStorage" folder.

finder.jpg

The Dropbox folder in Public is empty.

Thanks for your response.

Reards,

Jeremy

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@JCmk wrote:

As I explained, I have no "~/Library/CloudStorage" folder.

Not /Library/CloudStorage under your user folder, but off the root of your drive. Expand the Library folder that's shown in your screenshot.

JCmk
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi Rich,

As I wrote, there is no Cloud Storage in the root Library either.

After a restart yesterday, Cloud Storage appeared in my Finder prefs window. Selecting it gave me the Dropbox icon/link in the Finder sidebar, which works perfectly ...

finder2.jpg

BUT...

Still no indication anywhere of where the root Dropbox folder is located.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @JCmk, if you follow the steps in this article, are you able to locate the Dropbox folder's location?

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

JCmk
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

No.

The steps in the article simply open the Dropbox folder like all the other ways of opening it. But the usual ways of tracing a folder's location are still not functioning: Command/click on the folder name at the top of the open folder does not show me the usual hierarchy of location. The Dropbox folder is certainly somewhere, and functioning as it should. But I like to know where everything is on my computer!

Thanks.

JCmk
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I have just tried Command clicking on the title an open file in my Dropbox: it shows the expected location:  user/library/cloud storage/dropbox.

So it seems the issue is not whether the dropbox folder is in the right place (it is) but rather that I cannot see on my desktop the last 3 items in that location list. I guess that, for some reason, they are hidden folders. In the old days you could tell Finder to show hidden folders and files; but that does not seem to be the case today. There is nothing about this in the Help menu.  I will search on line for a terminal instruction to "show hidden folders/files".

Thanks for all your help.

JCmk
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Using Go and searching for Users/myname/Library has revealed the Library folder. But there does not seem to be a way of getting it to show in the usual way like other folders.

Anyway - sorted!!

Big-foot
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have seen the same issue with Dropbox files that used to show up in the finder not being shown there even though the files actually exist on my Mac.  Not sure why the dropdown was removed from the Dropbox preferences window - 

New dialog box

Bigfoot_1-1670009508014.png

Older preferences - with option to open folders in Finder.

Bigfoot_2-1670009541744.png

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

max d.5 New member | Level 2
    JCmk Helpful | Level 6
    jakacmar New member | Level 2
    Big-foot New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?