cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apple Silicon native support

Apple Silicon (M1) Desktop Sync Compatibility

_robin_
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Please can you upgrade the Dropbox app so that it works natively on Apple Silicon Macs (M1) without Rosetta.

Rosetta is not an option as it annihilates the battery.

This may be a duplicate of the below idea however that started for ARM processors in general and you haven't looked at it in 6 years so starting an Apple specific idea in the hope you see it.

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-ideas/Desktop-app-with-syncing-for-devices-with-ARM-processo...

There are also lots of comments on this thread to help support the case for demand: 

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-installs-integrations/Dropbox-Apple-Silicon-M1-install/td-p/... 

496 Replies 496

mcarpentier
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Almost a year after the introduction of Apple Silicon Macs, Dropbox remains one of the very few major software suppliers on my MacMini M1 that doesn't have an Apple Silicon Native or Universal install. It is still Intel based, using Rosetta to function. It does work, but as a result is now my biggest CPU hog. Adobe CS, Microsoft Office, Microsoft Edge, Google Chrome... But also many many smaller software vendors have a native install. So what are you waiting for, Dropbox? Thanks!

MaxwellOz
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Any word on when Dropbox will be native for Apple Silicon M1? I still need to install Rosetta to run Dropbox on my M1 Mac.

MaxwellOz
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Would be great to see this happen! OneDrive did announce that the M1 version is coming in November OneDrive will soon run natively on Apple M1 silicon | TechRadar

poiuztrewq
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi, I'm one of these business users that are going to upgrade to M1 Macs. Any news from Dropbox?

conalex4488
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

This is becoming a joke, dropbox is premium and should have native m1 support by now.

marcel83
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

this is pretty ridiculous. M1 Chips shipped one year ago - more than 2 years ago apple offered for dev teams the apple silicon based chips and a company like dropbox can't handle a small software like this? We pay every month for a service that we love - but simple things like convert it to a native version is not possible? Very embarrassing -.-

Please dear mr. dropbox, update ur software soon. Ur software doesn't use metal engine or renderings for ambient occlusion. Its just a "simple" tool.

Regards

Marcel

mcarpentier
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Absolutely!

poiuztrewq
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

@Megan  This really shouldn’t be something that we vote on. If Dropbox wants to support Macs it HAS to include that, otherwise it shouldn’t be available for the platform anymore and customers have to go somewhere else - it’s a simple business decision and not a nice-to-have!

faebe
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

@Megan What is wrong with you guys, seriously?

This request can be combined with the 436 Votes from "Desktop app (with syncing) for devices with ARM processors" (https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-ideas/Desktop-app-with-syncing-for-devices-with-ARM-processo...) since both request an ARM optimized version. Combine the votes and you have the most requested feature for dropbox in 2021.

biketocamp
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

This is becoming comical. Time to stop sending them money, just have to find the time to move the data. I guess I should do that on an _old_ intel mac.

Need more support?