cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Apple Silicon (M1) Desktop Sync Compatibility

Apple Silicon (M1) Desktop Sync Compatibility

_robin_
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Please can you upgrade the Dropbox app so that it works natively on Apple Silicon Macs (M1) without Rosetta.

Rosetta is not an option as it annihilates the battery.

This may be a duplicate of the below idea however that started for ARM processors in general and you haven't looked at it in 6 years so starting an Apple specific idea in the hope you see it.

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-ideas/Desktop-app-with-syncing-for-devices-with-ARM-processo...

There are also lots of comments on this thread to help support the case for demand: 

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-installs-integrations/Dropbox-Apple-Silicon-M1-install/td-p/... 

496 Replies 496

Chris B.150
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Wow, Dropbox. I’m a long-time customer. Time for me to move on.  

Google added full support to Drive: https://support.google.com/a/answer/7577057

They probably didn’t require a petition followed by outcry from their customers and heat from the media to make it happen. But this is (literally) how Dropbox rolls. Sad.

HiroUeno
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Absolute shame it's taken this long even as is, Apple Silicon released dev kits solely for this reason in June/July of 2020. It's been over a year and this is the kind of support response you give to your paying community?

Marc A.6
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

Their CEO said on Twitter that there's an internal M1 build already. Oh yeah? No, there isn't. 

Otherwise, there would be an alpha or beta channel where we could help test the Apple Silicon binary. 

There is no such thing. Technological hurdles? Oh yeah, Photoshop had an Apple Silicon binary early on. We're talking about one of the most complex applications for Mac. But a file syncing app? Ah, that's to hard to recompile. 

There is NO build for the M1, and no serious commitment either. H1 2022, really? "sometimes next year maybe". Ahah, yeah. 

Keep on bragging SharePoint integration and other useless crap. Most of us have moved on already. 

Edispg
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

In 2022? Is this a joke?
no way I am gonna wait that long. I will move to iCloud as It cost me the same but without issues with M1.

I am paying yearly, and next payment should be on 12th november, but I am not renewing. 

Soren P.
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

@Marc A.6 you hit the nail on the head. They are make making up crap to say they have something when they don't. Release a beta of it so we can test or it's just blowing smoke. I also posted to his twitter feed.

GRCE
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I can't believe this hasn't been a priority for Dropbox.

The M1 pro laptops are a game changer and Dropbox will be left behind.

I sure hope it is sorted out before the new desktop iMacs are released or I will be looking to an alternative cloud solution.

Datsyuk
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

My annual renewal is November 22. I’m a longtime customer and power user with a new M1 MAX MacBook Pro arriving in early December. I am going to cancel my annual subscription, move to a monthly subscription and see how serious Dropbox is about us as loyal customers….and research iCloud, Google, Box and any other viable solutions invested in the M1 platform. If I have to leave, it may or may not be a hassle for me to migrate…but I can’t imagine ever coming back. 

Fellow M1 users: my only purpose for Dropbox is for backup, freeing hard disk space and convenient file sharing….is there an obvious alternative for me in this regard that sticks out as a great alternative?  Would this be an easy process for a non-super tech type?  Thanks in advance. 

rakiras
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I laugh that a lazy company has to ask for votes to do its job. After years of using Dropbox, for about 4 months now I'm doing great using icloud and google drive. I recommend it to everyone.

gsparkman
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I own a number of Macs for my agency, and we've been using a paid DropBox Business account for years to store shared assets for our team. Our migration to Apple Silicon has already begun, and I can assure those in DropBox management that my account with them will be closed in the very near future if no evidence of native software isn't forthcoming. Thankfully there are alternatives to DropBox.

billrey
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I work for a large company with over 3000 employees. We have just cancelled Dropbox.

Personally I hope to move to iCloud since it's much less resource intensive. 

Need more support?