cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox doesn't work on my Mackbook Pro M1 13"

Apple Silicon (M1) Desktop Sync Compatibility

_robin_
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Please can you upgrade the Dropbox app so that it works natively on Apple Silicon Macs (M1) without Rosetta.

Rosetta is not an option as it annihilates the battery.

This may be a duplicate of the below idea however that started for ARM processors in general and you haven't looked at it in 6 years so starting an Apple specific idea in the hope you see it.

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-ideas/Desktop-app-with-syncing-for-devices-with-ARM-processo...

There are also lots of comments on this thread to help support the case for demand: 

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-installs-integrations/Dropbox-Apple-Silicon-M1-install/td-p/... 

496 Replies 496

snmorbe
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

@jekratz @Walter thanks for you answer and post. You tell me it will automatically update.

1. How can I check if I have the M1 Stable version? I don't want the beta version. How can I check if I have this stable M1 version?

2. And do I need to do something about the version with Rosetta?

I really don't know how this all works. Thanks for the help.

Sonja

jekratz
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

Open Activity Monitor on your Mac, go to the CPU tab, right click on the header and add "Kind" if its not already selected. That will show Apple or Intel depending. But honestly I haven't found the M1 native version to be any better in resource usage here than the Intel one.

jekratz
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

And no...it will just automatically install the Apple Silicon version and remove the Intel version.

jlaguna
Experienced | Level 12
Go to solution

@snmorbe There is currently no  non-beta, a.k.a. release, version for Apple Silicon. If you haven't selected the "Early releases" option in your Dropbox Settings (on the website), you will still be running the Intel version. The Intel version, which uses Rosetta 2, generally works just fine, although some folks are reporting high CPU and/or RAM usage. FTR, I found the Intel version on my 2021 MacBook Pro (M1 Pro chip) to work quite well, with very low demands on CPU and RAM despite the need for Rosetta 2. (You can confirm that you are running the Intel version and check on its CPU and RAM usage with the MacOS Activity Monitor app, as @jekratz notes.) Unless the Intel version is giving you problems, I would suggest simply waiting until you are upgraded automatically with a stable release (though God only knows how long that is going to take).

snmorbe
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

@jekratz thanks a lot for your help. I saw I have version 142.4. 4197 (update of 17 february 2022) and Apple system information tells me it is 'intel'. You can see this in the picture in Dutch 'soort'= 'kind'. I found this information another way (not with Activity Monitor, but I will look there too). Dropbox told me this is a stable version working with Rosetta. So I have to wait for the stable version of M1 version. I don't want beta version. Thanks for your help.

Image Dropbox intel.jpeg

snmorbe
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

@jlaguna thanks a lot, helpful answer. Now I know I have to wait. Have a nice day!

jekratz
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

You will get it the next update.

jekratz
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

There is an M1 official release. It is no longer in beta.

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-desktop-client-builds/Stable-Build-142-4-4197/td-p/578106

That is the latest official release.

jekratz
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

And God has nothing to do with it 😉 I was on Intel prior to the 142.4.4197 release and it auto-updated to Apple Silicon with that release. I do not have beta releases selected.

jlaguna
Experienced | Level 12
Go to solution

@jekratz Are you sure about that? It's still in beta and @snmorbe apparently hasn't opted for early releases.

Need more support?