cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apple Silicon (M1) Desktop Sync Compatibility

Apple Silicon (M1) Desktop Sync Compatibility

_robin_
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Please can you upgrade the Dropbox app so that it works natively on Apple Silicon Macs (M1) without Rosetta.

Rosetta is not an option as it annihilates the battery.

This may be a duplicate of the below idea however that started for ARM processors in general and you haven't looked at it in 6 years so starting an Apple specific idea in the hope you see it.

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-ideas/Desktop-app-with-syncing-for-devices-with-ARM-processo...

There are also lots of comments on this thread to help support the case for demand: 

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-installs-integrations/Dropbox-Apple-Silicon-M1-install/td-p/... 

496 Replies 496

gmon750
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I will say this... I will be purchasing a new Macbook in 1st-quarter 2022.  As a loyal Dropbox user for 10 years, this is the first time I'm considering jettisoning Dropbox if they don't provide native support for Apple Silicon.

Get your app updated and away from kernel extensions.  Considering the size of your company, I find it disturbing that so little resources are allocated to keeping your software current.  This is the kind of thinking usually applied to failing companies.

rpfaffmann
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I just dropped 8 grand on two new M1s for my business not realizing drop box was so far behind. I can't wait for up to 6 months. We will have to find a better competing system or go back to VPN.

Pokapix
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Had yet another large scale client discussing to stick with Dropbox or move to Microsoft. I as promised can’t recommend Dropbox anymore in its current state and todays news makes Microsoft a more attractive choice, since Dropbox has become an added cost, whereas Microsoft you get the full package.

OneDrive in public preview for M1 users 

John P.155
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I was nervous about getting the new Mac because of this issue because every file I have sits in Dropbox. I'm a software developer, and when I compile a program or create a new environment, it frequently generates a ton of new files that then get queued up to sync in Dropbox.

It could be that I have the 64GB RAM Mac, but I experienced zero noticeable change in battery life. Based on my experience, this was blown completely out of proportion by people who just want to get mad.

dropmyselfabox
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Why not release a beta to the more adventurous of us. I mean, even MS with their updated client have one the race. I'm in software development myself so I fully understand some decisions have been made that might not be understandable for the public from time to time but you are in the syncing/client business.... this should not take another month. All said with respect to your business and to the customers. 

Fabio L.
Experienced | Level 12
Go to solution

dropmyselfabox
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

@Fabio L. excellent, thanks for letting us now. Meanwhile, I've taken the jump using it as a daily driver, let's see. 

Dropbox, thanks for releasing it. 

Pokapix
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Sounds good it's running good on your machine @John P.155, but 64GB ram does make a difference, my 16GB M1 I've seen Dropbox eat more than 3+GB of ram, which is quite the chunk and not a good solution. Rosetta can also cause memory leaks, so a native app would still be the best solution for everyone, both private and pro segment.

DBXCommunity
Community Manager
Go to solution

Update:

Hi everyone,

We’re testing native Apple Silicon support with a limited number of users and plan to open the Beta to all users by the end of the month.

snmorbe
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

@DBXCommunity that is good news. I don't know enough of computers, but when the beta version is working and it is no longer a beta version, how do I get the update for my macbook pro Apple Silicon (M1)? How does this work? Because now it is working with Rosetta. How do I go form this version to the other version in the future? Thanks for your help.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Richard115 New member | Level 2
    jekratz Collaborator | Level 9
    jlaguna Experienced | Level 12
    Michael C.143 Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?