cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apple Silicon (M1) Desktop Sync Compatibility

Apple Silicon (M1) Desktop Sync Compatibility

_robin_
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Please can you upgrade the Dropbox app so that it works natively on Apple Silicon Macs (M1) without Rosetta.

Rosetta is not an option as it annihilates the battery.

This may be a duplicate of the below idea however that started for ARM processors in general and you haven't looked at it in 6 years so starting an Apple specific idea in the hope you see it.

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-ideas/Desktop-app-with-syncing-for-devices-with-ARM-processo...

There are also lots of comments on this thread to help support the case for demand: 

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-installs-integrations/Dropbox-Apple-Silicon-M1-install/td-p/... 

496 Replies 496

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi all,

I just wanted to mention that starting today, native Apple silicon support will begin automatically rolling out, with availability to all users in the coming weeks.

While this rollout is in progress, users can receive immediate access to native support by opting in to our early releases. For more information, you can visit this Help Center article.

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

strutton
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Does the latest build do anything to improve the amount of memory dropbox is using? It's by far the largest memory hog on my M1 machine. 

jlaguna
Experienced | Level 12
Go to solution

@strutton You're using the Apple Silicon beta? That would be discouraging, since that was one of the biggest knocks against the Intel/Rosetta-2 version.

JoeRegu
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
That’s correct on the beta I only saw a small reduction in memory usage from the Rosetta.

jlaguna
Experienced | Level 12
Go to solution

The Intel version ran just fine on my 2021 MacBook Pro; the Apple Silicon beta has been a nightmare and it still isn't working right — Finder icons are missing (no green checkmarks for sync'd files) and the icons that are there give bad information; and, most egregiously, it moved my Dropbox folder from ~/Documents to ~/Library/CloudStorage without asking or even informing me (which caused syncing to hang) and so far it refuses to allow me to move it back to ~/Documents. And not a word from Dropbox in response to repeated queries about these problems. That said, my M1 Air at work got the auto upgrade to the Apple Silicon version and it's working flawlessly — Finder icons are all there, it is sync'ing well, and it didn't move my Dropbox folder.

Tacitus24
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

I'm doing a clean install of all apps on a new M1 Macbook Air.  Can someone give me a link to a native M1 version of the DropBox client or is it a universal installer?

cicorias
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
Really that would help

Hear that dropbox help your customers build trust that you can actually write good solid reliable software

cicorias
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
Thoughtless and ignorant of their product managers. Amateurs writing mass market software

snmorbe
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

How do I get the M1 app dropbox on Macbook Pro (not a beta version)? 

jekratz
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

If you don't already have it it should download automatically. 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Richard115 New member | Level 2
    jekratz Collaborator | Level 9
    jlaguna Experienced | Level 12
    Michael C.143 Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?