cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Can't Drag and Drop into Dropbox from Finder Sidebar

Can't Drag and Drop into Dropbox from Finder Sidebar

lehestro
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I hope this is the correct place to post this. I commonly drag things from a local drive into Dropbox in Finder, using the sidebar, usually to upload for client access. It is a common enough action that the following problem is a significant workflow hampering. 

When I try to drag things into dropbox using the sidebar, it won't let me. A slashed-through circle icon appears. Why is this? Is it a permissions thing? Can this be fixed? 

I know it does no good, but I must be allowed a short rant. Dropbox worked FINE. I don't know why this new "update" needed to happen (demands of Apple's increasingly strict OS updates?), but it is just so frustrating when an "update" is not as functional as previous versions. Now I have to take 10 minutes out of my day to post about this in hopes that there is a fix. There are workarounds, sure, but you do this action 100s of times a day, the extra 3-4 seconds it takes adds up. Also it's a just a dumb problem to be having. 

Ok rant over. 

26 Replies 26

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for the image, it doesn't seem to be an official Dropbox folder, since it doesn't have the Dropbox logo on it. 

If you click the Dropbox folder, does it take you directly to the folder with the synced files? Is this an alias folder you created? 

If you right click it and then Get Info, could you attach a screenshot showing that, while hiding your username and other personal info?

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

hughH
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

No offence, but what are you talking about? The Mac sidebar doesn't have logos as far as I know. You drag the folder you want into the sidebar and then you can drop whatever you want into it. Except in the case of Dropbox. It used to work. And now it doesn't. Maybe it's a Mac problem. Maybe it's your problem. But something that used to work until the cloud drive update now doesn't and I don't seem to be the only one it doesn't work for.

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

By default, the Dropbox folder, when the app is running, would have a Dropbox icon on there. Could you attach the screenshot of the Get Info page for that folder? 

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

billgdbx
Dropbox Engineer
Go to solution

@hughH thanks for the screenshot, this actually moved me along.  There's definitely an issue with dragging and dropping to "Dropbox" in Favorites in the Sidebar.  There is also a Locations section below Favorites in the Sidebar, which contains the same Dropbox folder (but with the Dropbox logo).  I confirmed that dragging to Favorites in fact doesn't work, but dragging/dropping to the folder in Locations does work.  I also confirmed that, while dragging/dropping to the toplevel Dropbox folder in Favorites does not work, if you have a sub-folder of Dropbox in Favorites, you can drag/drop to that.

The attached photo shows the Dropbox folder in Locations, and the move working.  You can also see Dropbox in Favorites above--moving to that spot does not work.  We'll look into that.  Meanwhile, I hope that you can work around this issue by dragging/dropping to Locations rather than Favorites on the Sidebar.

Image1.jpeg

hughH
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thank you - that worked. Problem solved.

billgdbx
Dropbox Engineer
Go to solution

Glad to hear it!

YElan
New member | Level 2

I was having the same issue on my M2 Macbook Pro (13.4.1) with Dropbox 177.4.5399. Just like in the screenshots shown above, my Dropbox folder in the Favorites sidebar had a default folder icon next to it and would show the "no entry" icon when dragging and dropping to it.

I was able to resolve this by navigating in Finder to /Users/<username>/Library/CloudStorage. (In Finder under the Go menu bar item hold down Option and then select Library). I then dragged the Dropbox folder from inside CloudStorage to the Favorites sidebar and it showed up with the proper Dropbox icon. See screenshot.

Screenshot 2023-07-12 at 8.42.15 PM.png

I am able to drag to it now.

Best,

YElan 

Need more support?