cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot find Dropbox preferences to set up selective search

Cannot find Dropbox preferences to set up selective search

PierreL1
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Setting up new PC with Windows 11 which is new to me. I have installed dropbox on my PC and was attempting to set up selective sync. Instructions from Dropbox site are to open dropbox and click on my avatar in upper right corner. 

1. There does not appear to be a dropbox app per se. Instead, when I click on the Dropbox icon, all I am seeing is File Explorer open to Dropbox.

2. When I do that, I go into File Explorer and there is no icon and no "preferences" option from any menu I can see.

What am I doing wrong?

Thank you!!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@PierreL1 wrote:

There does not appear to be a dropbox app per se. Instead, when I click on the Dropbox icon, all I am seeing is File Explorer open to Dropbox.

You're clicking the Dropbox icon on your Desktop or from the Start menu. You need to click the icon in your system tray/notification area.

a2d605facd3527665e38ddf0e0f75aab.png

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@PierreL1 wrote:

There does not appear to be a dropbox app per se. Instead, when I click on the Dropbox icon, all I am seeing is File Explorer open to Dropbox.

You're clicking the Dropbox icon on your Desktop or from the Start menu. You need to click the icon in your system tray/notification area.

a2d605facd3527665e38ddf0e0f75aab.png

PierreL1
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thank you!

Next problem is that I am unable to select any folders in the selective sync options.  My cursor has no effect on anything on that screen. I cannot select or unselect anything.  Everything else on my PC works fine btw.

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @PierreL1, how are you today?

What is the app's syncing status at the moment? Can you also send me a couple of screenshots of what you described above, in regards to your Selective sync settings?

Thanks a bunch!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

jason999
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I am having the same problem. The Dropbox app from the system try does no have the usual tabs that would allow me to select/unselect folders for syncing. Oddly, on my other laptop the Dropbox app still functions as normal.

jason999
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Just an update:  The selective sync controls briefly reappeared in my Dropbox app (which I access through the system tray)... an hour later it's gone again. Crazy!

Next time I can get the app to open with controls I will never close it.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @jason999, sorry to hear about this.

Since you still have a Dropbox icon, can you hover over it, and let us know which version of the app you're running and what's the sync status?

A screenshot of how the preferences appear on your end, would also be really helpful, if you can send us one.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

itevans
Explorer | Level 4

itevans_0-1707226305840.png

Hi Hannah,

I have the same issue and see no solution for selecting preferences and therefore selective sync 

I unistalled and reinstalled the app and the normal Preference options window was visible but after I made a selection of folders to appear on my desktop as part of the setup it disappeared never to return. At least not by any mechanism I tried.

Rich
Super User II

@itevans wrote:

I have the same issue and see no solution for selecting preferences and therefore selective sync

The top of your screenshot appears to be cut off. Does it not show the full window, or are there no icons above the Sync History and Activity tabs? Or does that screenshot show the very top of your monitor and the Dropbox window is partially off-screen?

832b1d5da015dfa7bcb17d9abe90d3c2.png

itevans
Explorer | Level 4

Thanks Rich, 

The screenshot includes the top of my display.

Those icons do not appear and the Dropbox window is immoveable 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

itevans Explorer | Level 4
    Jay Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?