cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We just wanted to say thank you! Check out our customer appreciation video here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox App not starting on Win 10 after v197.4.7629 win icons update - permissions error?

Dropbox App not starting on Win 10 after v197.4.7629 win icons update - permissions error?

stellan0r
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi, my Dropbox app stopped working today after booting my X1 (Win 10 with latest updates) and updating the Dropbox app manually because it asked to get updated to show me the new symbols in the Win 10 explorer. Did the same update a day ago on my PC with 0 issues.

After the update I got an error message, that dropbox can't start, with a link to the permissions_error page and a log file. 

Reinstalling. rebooting did not help. Permissions fix inside dropbox app is not possible, as I can't access my profile within the app - its not loading that far, stops at "loading accounts".

This is a part of the error log:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "desktop/dropbox/client/main.py", line 886, in wrapper
  File "desktop/dropbox/client/main.py", line 6817, in finish_dropbox_boot
  File "desktop/dropbox/client/message_queue.py", line 306, in _wrapped
  File "desktop/dropbox/client/main.py", line 6280, in _init_components_for_account
  File "desktop/dropbox/client/main.py", line 6201, in create_sync_engine
  File "desktop/dropbox/sync_engine_boundary/factory.py", line 212, in make_sync_engine
  File "desktop/dropbox/sync_engine/nucleus/classic_client/sync_engine.py", line 243, in __init__
  File "desktop/dropbox/sync_engine/nucleus/classic_client/modern_client/modern_client.py", line 285, in __init__
  File "desktop/dropbox/sync_engine/nucleus/classic_client/modern_client/base.py", line 242, in __init__
  File "desktop/dropbox/sync_engine/nucleus/classic_client/thin_adapter/in_proc.py", line 221, in __init__
  File "desktop/dropbox/sync_engine/nucleus/classic_client/thin_adapter/in_proc.py", line 541, in _init_new_engine_locked
  File "desktop/dropbox/sync_engine/nucleus/thin_client/client.py", line 142, in __init__
  File "desktop\extensions\nucleus\nucleus_python.pyx", line 77, in nucleus_python.NucleusSyncEngine.__cinit__
nucleus_python.SyncEngineError: "Initializing engine |>> Initializing filesystem |>> Attempting to create new_files |>> Error making tempdir |>> register with platform, fixup provider file flags |>> Could not get PKEY_StorageProviderFileFlags. |>> Could not get the property store |>> Unknown error: Error { code: HRESULT(0x80004005), message: \"Unbekannter Fehler\" }"

, can anyone help?? Thank you! 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

PeterTang
Dropbox Engineer
Go to solution

Hey @stellan0r

We are investigating into this issue, can you try uninstall dropbox and reinstall it again? If the same prompted update shows up again, you can skip for now, let us know if issue still persists.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @stellan0r, let's jump right into this! 

It seems this isn't the entire error log.

In order for us to further investigate, can you send me the full error message, please? 

You can obtain the full text of the error by clicking on the blue link within the error message pop-up. This will open a file with the full text of the error. 

Let me know more, and we'll take it from there!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

stellan0r
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Sure Megan!

bn.BUILD_KEY: Dropbox
bn.VERSION: 197.4.7629
bn.constants.WINDOWS_SHELL_EXT_VERSION: 71
bn.is_frozen: True
machine_id: 3f10a05d-4976-4f40-b267-f8f45286b3e6
pid: 9112
cwd: 'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Dropbox\\Client'
     real_path='C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Dropbox\\Client'
           	mode=0o40777	uid=0	gid=0
     parent	mode=0o40777	uid=0	gid=0
HOME: None
appdata: 'C:\\Users\\info\\AppData\\Local\\Dropbox\\instance2'
         real_path='C:\\Users\\info\\AppData\\Local\\Dropbox\\instance2'
               	mode=0o40777	uid=0	gid=0
dropbox_path: 'C:\\SD400\\Dropbox'
              real_path='D:\\Dropbox'
                    	mode=0o40777	uid=0	gid=0
              parent	mode=0o40555	uid=0	gid=0
sys_executable: 'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Dropbox\\Client\\Dropbox.exe'
                real_path='C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Dropbox\\Client\\Dropbox.exe'
                      	mode=0o100777	uid=0	gid=0
trace.__file__: 'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Dropbox\\Client\\197.4.7629\\python-packages.zip\\dropbox\\client\\ui\\common\\boot_error.pyc'
                real_path='C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Dropbox\\Client\\197.4.7629\\python-packages.zip\\dropbox\\client\\ui\\common\\boot_error.pyc'
                      	not found
                parent	not found
TMP: C:\Users\info\AppData\Local\Temp
TEMP: C:\Users\info\AppData\Local\Temp
tempdir: 'C:\\Users\\info\\AppData\\Local\\Temp'
         real_path='C:\\Users\\info\\AppData\\Local\\Temp'
               	mode=0o40777	uid=0	gid=0
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "desktop/dropbox/client/main.py", line 886, in wrapper
  File "desktop/dropbox/client/main.py", line 6817, in finish_dropbox_boot
  File "desktop/dropbox/client/message_queue.py", line 306, in _wrapped
  File "desktop/dropbox/client/main.py", line 6280, in _init_components_for_account
  File "desktop/dropbox/client/main.py", line 6201, in create_sync_engine
  File "desktop/dropbox/sync_engine_boundary/factory.py", line 212, in make_sync_engine
  File "desktop/dropbox/sync_engine/nucleus/classic_client/sync_engine.py", line 243, in __init__
  File "desktop/dropbox/sync_engine/nucleus/classic_client/modern_client/modern_client.py", line 285, in __init__
  File "desktop/dropbox/sync_engine/nucleus/classic_client/modern_client/base.py", line 242, in __init__
  File "desktop/dropbox/sync_engine/nucleus/classic_client/thin_adapter/in_proc.py", line 221, in __init__
  File "desktop/dropbox/sync_engine/nucleus/classic_client/thin_adapter/in_proc.py", line 541, in _init_new_engine_locked
  File "desktop/dropbox/sync_engine/nucleus/thin_client/client.py", line 142, in __init__
  File "desktop\extensions\nucleus\nucleus_python.pyx", line 77, in nucleus_python.NucleusSyncEngine.__cinit__
nucleus_python.SyncEngineError: "Initializing engine |>> Initializing filesystem |>> Attempting to create new_files |>> Error making tempdir |>> register with platform, fixup provider file flags |>> Could not get PKEY_StorageProviderFileFlags. |>> Could not get the property store |>> Unknown error: Error { code: HRESULT(0x80004005), message: \"Unbekannter Fehler\" }"

PeterTang
Dropbox Engineer
Go to solution

Hey @stellan0r

We are investigating into this issue, can you try uninstall dropbox and reinstall it again? If the same prompted update shows up again, you can skip for now, let us know if issue still persists.

stellan0r
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
Hi @PeterTang
I will try!
Btw. after booting my X1 this morning the Dropbox app was updated to 198.3.7576, unfortunately the same error occurs.
Will uninstall now.

stellan0r
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
Uninstalling and reinstalling without accepting those Windows 10 icon changes (red marker on the Dropbox symbol) did fix it, thank you!
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

stellan0r Explorer | Level 4
    PeterTang Dropbox Engineer
    Megan Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?