cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Apple silicon - Do's and Don'ts??

Dropbox Apple Silicon (M1) install

wwmiller3
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi,

I recently purchased a MacBook Pro 13" with the M1 processor and I cannot seem to get a native install of Dropbox for this chipset. From searching the community, it seems like M1 support should be available in the latest installer. However, trying that plus the latest beta build all ask me to install Rosetta during installation. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

Warren

184 Replies 184

afsd
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I hope you don't feel the same way now @JOfE, given over a year later the kernel extensions vs FileProvider issue is still not resolved

In Reply to:

Collaborator | Level 10

‎07-11-2021 03:39 PM

iCloud is very basic.

To the people leaving Dropbox because they upgraded to M1: What did you expect? Apple constantly changes.  Answer: Don't upgrade unless you research the implications of upgrading. If you are impetuous about computers doing what you want you will be endlessly frustrated. I also upgraded to M1. Nothing is seamless. There is no perfect solution and if there was one, it would not be perfect in 6 months.

Ice Cream is the only thing essential for the NOW.

cuddy58
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I just purchased a new iMac M1 and tried to install Dropbox 140.3.1903 but can't get it to run. When I login I get a message that says i'm using an old version of DB and need to get the latest version, which I actually did already. Under the Dropbox icon it says that it's waiting to be linked to a dropbox account...

When I go to Sync Preferences>Account I again try to sign in and just get a spinning wheel. Nothing works!!! What can I do, Am I doing something wrong?

Screen Shot 2022-10-24 at 7.37.10 AM.png

image.png

image.png

Michael B.10
Experienced | Level 13
Go to solution

@cuddy58 wrote:

I just purchased a new iMac M1 and tried to install Dropbox 140.3.1903 but can't get it to run. When I login I get a message that says i'm using an old version of DB and need to get the latest version, which I actually did already. Under the Dropbox icon it says that it's waiting to be linked to a dropbox account...

When I go to Sync Preferences>Account I again try to sign in and just get a spinning wheel. Nothing works!!! What can I do, Am I doing something wrong?

Screen Shot 2022-10-24 at 7.37.10 AM.png

image.png

image.png

 The latest stable build is 159.4.5870 AFAIK

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-desktop-client-builds/Stable-Build-159-4-5870/td-p/628595

cuddy58
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thank you so, so much! I don't know why Dropbox has links to old installers. I couldn't find this latest version anywhere.

jat1971
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
Shame you don’t have a working app for the M2 max and continue to post bs advice that doesn’t work

There is NO “within folder” spotlight search functionality with the latest dropbox on an M2 max. Spotlight indexes everything but can not search within - it can only find files by search entire HD - so you lose ALL folder/project specific search capabilities

None of the bs advice dropbox give, so far, works - it just wastes days of your time re-indexing.
Need more support?