cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox Apple Silicon (M1) install

Dropbox Apple Silicon (M1) install

wwmiller3
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi,

I recently purchased a MacBook Pro 13" with the M1 processor and I cannot seem to get a native install of Dropbox for this chipset. From searching the community, it seems like M1 support should be available in the latest installer. However, trying that plus the latest beta build all ask me to install Rosetta during installation. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

Warren

184 Replies 184

ilrian
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Well the dropbox app sucks big time now on my M1 and uninstalled it. It consumed +4GB of RAM and it failed to properly sync 2 files to my Mac which is under 10GB that I had to wait for more than 24 hours to complete through a 50 Mbps connection. The ETA kept changing from a few minutes up to "n" number of days LOL.

Can't wait to migrate out of Dropbox very soon and never look back.

ilrian_0-1625229519241.png

ChrisBoxDrop
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Apple barricaded kernel extensions on M1 chips. For an app that uses kernel extensions to work natively with M1, you have to boot into recovery mode and change a security setting. Dropbox obviously doesn't want to play ball because it's not a long-term solution.  A new API to access files and folders remotely was recently introduced and dropbox might be using that instead: https://developer.apple.com/documentation/fileprovider

Wvp
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

@ChrisBoxDrop wrote:

Apple barricaded kernel extensions on M1 chips. For an app that uses kernel extensions to work natively with M1, you have to boot into recovery mode and change a security setting. Dropbox obviously doesn't want to play ball because it's not a long-term solution.  A new API to access files and folders remotely was recently introduced and dropbox might be using that instead: https://developer.apple.com/documentation/fileprovider

Apple is indeed pushing its File Provider framework. Recent updates from Microsoft (https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/microsoft-onedrive-blog/microsoft-works-to-ensure-a-great-one...) showed that the future OneDrive implementation will use the File Provider framework.

I'm not sure if this is also the reason why Dropbox does not provide a native Apple Silicon version because Sync.com for example does have a native Apple Silicon app. My guess: Dropbox has dependencies and or custom frameworks that need to be ported to Apple Silicon. I also checked on my computer if Dropbox uses System Extensions, but I do not think they use them anymore, because my system does not report any System Extensions for Dropbox.

When using the File Provider framework there could be limits on functionality for third-party sync services like Dropbox. The added benefits for services like Dropbox and OneDrive will be limited to what Apple allows, which could be why it is taking so long for these companies to release a native Apple Silicon version. 

I do not care too much for an Apple Silicon version of Dropbox because decided to stop using Dropbox. iCloud works fine for my personal use, and for work we have Office 365 with included cloud storage. iCloud and OneDrive are also less resource intensive, and OneDrive announced a native Apple Silicon version.

Eduardo C.21
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

M1 was my final decision to say goodybye to Dropbox after many years of being a super fan of the service. Its not even the non native M1 factor, already for years Dropbox was becoming clunkier and heavier update after update, taking up inordinate amounts of system resources... when I made the jump to M1, decided to not even dare install it. I must say I do miss it, iCloud just... isn't as good, but I'd rather have that than a hungry process, ram and power hog.

They might want to see Backblaze' most recent update, with huge efficiencies...

JOfE
Experienced | Level 11
Go to solution

iCloud is very basic.

To the people leaving Dropbox because they upgraded to M1: What did you expect? Apple constantly changes.  Answer: Don't upgrade unless you research the implications of upgrading. If you are impetuous about computers doing what you want you will be endlessly frustrated. I also upgraded to M1. Nothing is seamless. There is no perfect solution and if there was one, it would not be perfect in 6 months.

Ice Cream is the only thing essential for the NOW.

ilrian
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

So glad we're making the switch this month to Google Drive that syncs files faster and is incredibly lighter to run. Breaking free of Dropbox and their possible future security breach LOL 

Screen Shot 2021-07-19 at 3.32.01 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-07-19 at 3.39.53 PM.png

nps-ca
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Amazing that one of the most complex apps on the Apple platform is now native also, and still Dropbox says "coming soon, not sure when, but soon"

https://www.engadget.com/adobe-premiere-pro-m1-macs-stable-release-011534414.html

PS; already started the migration to Google Drive, once my Dropbox sub is expired in Nov, I'm gone.

JOfE
Experienced | Level 11
Go to solution

Thanks for telling us @nps-ca  You punish them.

LeonDrop
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

A lot of moaning, but only 31 votes (including mine - I got my M1 today) to get Dropbox to port to M1.

Please go here and add your vote - you will see other ideas have much more support:

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-ideas/Apple-Silicon-M1-Desktop-Sync-Compatibility/idi-p/5277...

nps-ca
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
A vote on that post won't change one thing. But this thread sure does bring out the apologists. This is my last post in this thread
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

jat1971 Helpful | Level 6
    cuddy58 New member | Level 2
    Michael B.10 Experienced | Level 13
    afsd Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?