cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox for macOS on File Provider - Right Click does not work and No Icons

Dropbox for macOS on File Provider - Right Click does not work and No Icons

Rinconman
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I am have DB for Business. I have been a windows user but just got a new Mac Air with the M3 chip.  On latest Mac OS.  I installed DB.  After Install, I turned on in my Admin Console to allow Dropbox for macOS on File Provider.  The app updated and moved Dropbox

I do not see icons in the files.  Most files are offline only.  To the right of the file name I see the cloud.  If I double click on the cloud, it makes it offline.  Then there is no symbol.  that space is blank.  If I right click the file or folder, nothing happens.  

How do I change it back to online only?  

Should I see icons on all files?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Rinconman, thanks for posting here today! 

Keep in mind that a file or folder with no icon means that it has been opened either by double-clicking or through a third-party application and synced.

So, essentially this is normal for folders, no icon means there is at least one available file in the folder, but no online-only files. There can also be files that are available offline in the folder.

You can see more about this here

You should be able to follow the correct, normal steps of right clicking on your content, and choosing the online-only status for them. 

I hope this clarifies!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Rinconman, thanks for posting here today! 

Keep in mind that a file or folder with no icon means that it has been opened either by double-clicking or through a third-party application and synced.

So, essentially this is normal for folders, no icon means there is at least one available file in the folder, but no online-only files. There can also be files that are available offline in the folder.

You can see more about this here

You should be able to follow the correct, normal steps of right clicking on your content, and choosing the online-only status for them. 

I hope this clarifies!

Megan
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Rinconman
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Thanks.  There is a setting for right click (second click) I had to change to make the second click by pressing the bottom right of the track pad.

Also, I realize the green check only shows only if you right click and choose offline.  If you just open the file or folder the cloud disappeared but no green check shows.  After re-reading the article on icons that makes sense.  No symbol means they are available offline but if the drive runs low on space they may be moved to online only.  With the green check after selecting offline these will stay offline.

frogalope
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi. I also lost the icons. AND the ability to right-click.

I'm having a major problem. Somehow my files switched to offline and clogged my hard drive. When I try to go change files to online-only, Dropbox says I can't sync because I don't have enough hard drive space. When I make room, Dropbox repopulates the files I want online only. I can't even copy over folders because they are in action. I can't do anything.

Thanks!

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @frogalope - sorry to hear about this.

Could you please let us know your device's exact OS version and the status and version of the desktop app as showing in your menu bar at the moment?

A screenshot of any errors you might be getting would also help! 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

frogalope
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi Walter. Thanks for the help.

I am running OS 12.7.4 and DB 195.4.4995. Here are some screenshots. Today I was able to right-click a few files but it doesn't look like it usually does.

Screen Shot 2024-04-04 at 10.13.52 AM.pngScreen Shot 2024-04-04 at 10.11.29 AM.pngScreen Shot 2024-04-04 at 10.09.31 AM.pngScreen Shot 2024-04-04 at 10.06.34 AM.png

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for the screenshots and the additional information @frogalope 

Could you update to the latest version of the app from this page and let me know how it goes? 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

frogalope
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thanks again, Walter. After the download and install, for a second it started looking like it was going to crank. Then I got the message that syncing is interrupted. My hard drive space went from 23 gigs available to 15.

Thanks,

Jackie

Screen Shot 2024-04-04 at 3.26.27 PM.png

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Could you quit the app and relaunch it after rebooting your computer and let me know if you see any improvements @frogalope?

Walter
dropbox.com/support

frogalope
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi Walter. I was going to reboot when I realized that Dropbox had started going! It just finished syncing a few hours ago. Thanks a ton, you saved me hours and hours of stress.,

Just a note that when this first happened I went to the App Store to check if there was an update and it said that I already had the App and offered no update.

Have a great day,

Jackie

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropbox Staff
    frogalope Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?