cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox icon in menu bar for Mac showing red circle with the number 1

Dropbox icon in menu bar for Mac showing red circle with the number 1

Skylamar
Explorer | Level 4

Hi. I'm a long-time Dropbox user. I've had an account since 2012. I have a personal/free account. 

I use Dropbox on a Mac. I have been having issues with my Mac for months so today I erased the drive and reset it to the Mac's factory settings. I've spent the rest of the day installing some of my most-used apps, including Dropbox.

Dropbox seems to be working. It's syncing my files. But the icon in the menubar has a little red circle with a "1" in it. I don't know how to get rid of it or what it's trying to tell me.

When I click on the menubar icon under "Activity" is a message saying "Dropbox for macOS now ready. Update Dropbox to use on the latest version of macOS" and there's a link that says "Get Started.'

I was thinking maybe the red circle with the "1" is displayed because I need to click the "Get Started" link and follow the steps.

Well, I've clicked the link and followed the steps now 3 times and the circle with the red "!" has not disappeared nor has the message under "Activity" telling me to "Get Started."

So I don't know what I'm doing wrong and I've never had this problem before. So I could use some help. Should I just ignore that little circle with the "1" or do I need to do something else to get rid of it? 

Thanks.

4 Replies 4

Skylamar
Explorer | Level 4

Red circle is finally gone and Dropbox isn't showing the Get Started message anymore.

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Skylamar, thanks for your message.

We appreciate the update, and I'm happy to see that you aren't getting the notification icon on your desktop app any longer.

If you need any further assistance in the future, please let us know!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Fgrat
New member | Level 2
I have the same issue since 3 month and installing didn’t help. The software is actual.
Meanwhile i quit the app modt of the time because the icon with the number is so annoying

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Fgrat, are you having the same issue with the same notification about updating the Dropbox app to the Dropbox for macOS version?

If so, does the issue persist after following the steps to update the app?

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropbox Staff
    Fgrat New member | Level 2
    Jay Dropbox Staff
    Skylamar Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?