cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox will not open after changing the home folder name & user account macOS Big Sur

Dropbox will not open after changing the home folder name & user account macOS Big Sur

peachtree
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi,

I just changed  the name of my Mac user account & home folder following Apple's instructions. Everything works fine except for Dropbox. When I start it I get the message that it needs to change permissions for the folder, which is the old home folder name. If I put in my user name & password I get another box saying "Couldn't start Dropbox". I have uninstalled, reinstalled but always the same. How can I fix this? any help much appreciated!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@peachtree wrote:

I just changed  the name of my Mac user account & home ... I have uninstalled, reinstalled but always the same.

You need to perform a complete reinstall. Refer to Stefanie's post in the following thread.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@peachtree wrote:

I just changed  the name of my Mac user account & home ... I have uninstalled, reinstalled but always the same.

You need to perform a complete reinstall. Refer to Stefanie's post in the following thread.

peachtree
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thank you so very much! That worked perfectly! Saved my bacon! 🙂

nevwg
Explorer | Level 4

When Mac users get a new computer, the easiest way to set up is with Migration Assistant. This works well, but it sets up a Mac OS account on the new computer which has the same username as the account on the old computer. If the old computer is still to be used, this means having two different accounts on a network that have the same username. It's not difficult to alter the username, but this leads to a problem on Dropbox, caused by permissions issues in Mac OS.

One of the hidden files in MacOS from Dropbox is /Users/username/.dropbox  . Once the username has been changed to (eg) new_name, trying to access the Dropbox app in any way, even trying to uninstall and then re-install it, brings up a Dropbox message asking to change permissions for the Folder /Users/old_name/.dropbox  . This can't work because that folder no longer exists. 

I contacted Dropbox help, who were efficiently helpful in supplying a Terminal script that solved the problem -- but it took time for me to realise what was happening, and then a number of contacts with both Dropbox and Apple help.

I suspect an easy Dropbox workaround would be tricky. I suggest that an explicit warning should be included somewhere in the Dropbox documentation for Mac users intending to change their username.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

nevwg Explorer | Level 4
    peachtree Explorer | Level 4
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?