cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: How do I prevent Dropbox using so much memory on my computer? I already use SmartSync

How do I prevent Dropbox using so much memory on my computer? I already use SmartSync

orchidea18
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

How do I prevent Dropbox using so much memory on my computer?

I already use SmarSync.

28 Replies 28

tequejas
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

@eabeI moved to iCloud, is cheapper and if ur'e using a mac u'll see better results..

BUT... sometimes it freezes too while uploading many files, but less than DB.

and it's kind of harder to use due to sharing links, but i preffer to do some more clics but had a better service.

pjp6
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

The big three cloud storage providers claim the right to look at your files, which is bad enough. I looked into using Microsoft and Google but they go to the extreme and actually claim the right to delete users' files. I wanted to switch my business to all Microsoft services when I read that in their terms. I can't risk client data being deleted by corporate bullies, "accidental" or otherwise. 

Unfortunately, "wokeness" is more important than trustworthiness these days.

Moreover, the most profitable support is the Dogbert model of assigning customers increasingly difficult and inconvenient tasks until they give up. 

Dropbox is a memory hog. If that is causing issues for you then

• Don't use Smart Sync
  • Quit Dropbox
  • Run Dropbox periodically to sync your files to the cloud

As an alternative to Dropbox, the only other cloud storage provider that I know of that doesn't explicitly claim the right to delete your data in its terms of service is box.com. Beware of changes to terms of service though. 

Savo9
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I also have the issue and it's driving me crazy. 

All the files on my Drop Box are Smart synced so nothing on my Mac but every so often dropbox starts to sync and the memory and CPU go crazy. Even when it's not syncing the memory and CPU is working with loads of resource to DropBox. 

My Mac has a great processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core i9 with 32 GB memory. However, the majority of the resource is going on DropBox. 

Before you ask, yes I have been through those steps. 

As soon as I turn drop box off - everything returns to normal. 

If there isn't a soultion to this soon I will just move everything to iCloud. 

Noula
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Or use Google Drive. I dumped Dropbox, it's a memory hog.

chrysotheras
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Tried everything but no joy from any of the recommended here solutions to prevent Dropbox from resource hogging my laptop. I had to uninstall the app eventually and resort to the on board -not very reliable- Microsoft OneDrive cloud, ...until Dropbox works out a solution to this problem.

chrysotheras
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

....Thanks for the tip!

... Google Drive is waaaay better (faster & more intuitive) than MS OneDrive or Dropbox 

... plus it gives you 15 Gb free (instead of 4 or 5)

jay2020
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Dropbox drives me crazy, I think it syncs everything from my computer, I just can't find where I can stop it! I can't find Customer support to help me, it's really bad! all I see is sales AD to ask for upgrade my dropbox. it's been a few weeks, I want to delete Dropbox. it's just so crazy, NOT convenient to use at all!!! 

jay2020
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi, this is crazy that my Dropbox syncs everything from my computer, it fills up Dropbox, I want to stop sync!! it drives me crazy!! and I can't find customer help on this, all I got is sale AD want me to upgrade my dropbox, that's crazy!! Dropbox has no customer service at all!! 

traaa
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

That's dropbox, still using 280MB memory while sync has been paused for several minutes. I guess the consensus from this thread is there's no fix and to choose a different provider. OK

db hog.png

Need more support?