cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to add DropBox icon to Tool Bar on Mac?

How to add DropBox icon to Tool Bar on Mac?

LRicci
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I recently set up Dropbox with the new location, as per Dropbox instructions. Seems fine. But I can't figure out how to return the Dropbox Icon to my toolbar.

MacBook Air running Ventura

37 Replies 37

LRicci
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I can't be sure my comments were in reply to your post, so I'm adding this to ping you about my findings to your queries.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for the screenshots @LRicci - much appreciated.

Could you let me know if you've given full access to the desktop app since you set it up on your computer?

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

LRicci
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

@Walter When I click on the Dropbox app, the directory of my dropbox files opens. I can't get access to Dropbox in the way my other applications provide. So no, I can't make any setting changes at all.

LRicci
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

acck! The screenshot I sent you is not the one I captured. This looks like a screenshot from my laptop screen.

The dropdown menu is the correct image I intended to send, of the menu you asked for. 

At this point, I think I have an installation problem. Is there a better place to look for answers to a bigger problem with the new Dropbox update?

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @LRicci, have you tried these steps to access the Preferences in the Dropbox desktop application via the menu bar?

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

LRicci
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

The instructions you suggested are:

In the menu bar (Mac) 
  1. Click the Dropbox icon in your menu bar in the top right corner of your screen.
  2. Click your avatar (profile picture or initials) in the upper-right corner.
  3. Click Preferences.

This post is all about MISSING DROPBOX ICON ON TOOL BAR/MENU BAR. I don't have an icon to click.

greysonmiller
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

To add the Dropbox icon to your toolbar on a Mac:

1. Open Finder and navigate to the Applications folder.

2. Find the Dropbox app and right-click (or control-click) on it.

3. Select "Options" and then "Keep in Dock" from the menu.

4. The Dropbox icon will now appear in your Dock.

Alternatively, you can also drag the Dropbox icon from the Applications folder and drop it onto the toolbar at the top of the screen. The Dropbox icon will then appear on the toolbar, and you can use it to quickly access your Dropbox account.

If the Dropbox icon is already in your Dock, but you want to remove it, simply right-click (or control-click) on the icon and select "Options" and then "Remove from Dock" from the menu. This will remove the icon from the Dock, but the Dropbox app will still be installed on your computer and you can access it through the Applications folder. For internet speed, check out this website .

LRicci
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

You suggested:

To add the Dropbox icon to your toolbar on a Mac:

1. Open Finder and navigate to the Applications folder. THIS STEP I CAN DO.

2. Find the Dropbox app and right-click (or control-click) on it. THIS STEP I CAN DO.

3. Select "Options" and then "Keep in Dock" from the menu.  For this step, there is no "Options" nor "Keep in Dock" anywhere, including all sub menus. 

4. The Dropbox icon will now appear in your Dock. NOT FOR ME IT DOESN'T.

I will try to capture the menu I get and post it here.

N.B. As described earlier, I am unable to OPEN DROPBOX as a software. All I get is my local dropbox list of files, and no menu for the App at the top of the screen. 

Billth
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I'd like to know the answer to this question as well. Note that I am on MacOS 13 Ventura. A friend would like to get a Dropbox icon on his Desktop. He currently does not have a Dropbox icon in the Dock, also not in the menu bar at the top of the screen, also not as an icon on the Desktop, also not listed in the left-hand side of Finder windows. I have been watching as various support people do not understand or willfully ignore or pretend to answer the question but do not. To be clear: there is NO Dropbox icon in the Menu Bar at the top of the screen. There is NO Dropbox icon in the Dock. A right-click on the Dropbox app in the Applications folder produces the same result as a right-click on any other icon on a Mac: a pop-up box that says: Open, Show Package Content, Move to Trash, Get Info, Rename, etc. If I double-click on the Dropbox icon in the Applications Folder, all that happens is I get a Finder window that shows the contents of my Dropbox folder. So this is a way to display the Dropbox folder, but it's not a good way. Let me restate the question: Under Mac Ventura, how do you get at the Dropbox preferences? Is that clear enough? Please do not answer any other question, and please do not ask me any questions, just answer this question: Where are Dropbox preferences under Mac Ventura? If you do not know the answer, how about asking someone who knows Mac? If there is a bug that makes this impossible, please tell us so.

LRicci
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Thank you for confirming this problem. 
I'd given up, thinking that maybe I've made an error I can't discover. 

Sounds like we have a bug. I wonder if this is because Dropbox has moved to a new location on our systems. But it does make it more likely we'll have to move to iCloud because Dropbox is too much of a nuisance.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

PDIH New member | Level 2
    Billth New member | Level 2
    liontamer67 Helpful | Level 6
    Barbara S.19 New member | Level 2
    Fab33 Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?