cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to uninstall dropbox on macos w/fileprovider?

How to uninstall dropbox on macos w/fileprovider?

heartpunk
Explorer | Level 4

The docs say to contact y'all, but I'm not willing to pay for support to just fully uninstall/reinstall. I need out of the beta, as it's regularly spiking to gigabytes (sometimes up to 17GB) of memory usage, when my dropbox doesn't even have a full gigabyte of data in it.

I have no option to exit the beta by way of the typical documented solutions, I believe this is because I used to be on a business plan/using the backup feature, and those have different quirks with respect to opting out of the beta (documented somewhere in y'all's mess of so called customer support/documentation/whatever).

Just let me off this ride, please. Stop messing my computer up with bad tech and not even providing any legitimate uninstall option. Had I known there was no uninstall path, I would've just quit using Dropbox (and paying) before y'all implemented this. It's actively hostile to users, and y'all need to do better by us.

6 Replies 6

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Sorry to see you're having trouble uninstalling the Dropbox desktop app, @heartpunk.

Can you let us know what the exact issue is?

If you want to opt out of the beta/early releases of Dropbox, you'll need to turn off the 'early releases' option here; have you tried that yet?

What else have you tried so far?

Let me know and we'll go from there.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

heartpunk
Explorer | Level 4

I have described multiple issues already. I'll do a bit of redescription, but fundamentally I would just like help with the thing I asked for help with: a full uninstall for Dropbox on macos w/fileprovider. You ignored that request entirely.

It seems I've finally left the beta, despite having no way to opt out of it explicitly. I tried everything documented here and here. There was no opt out option visible when I followed either path.

In any case, the issue of excess memory usage remains; I may have to wait until later today to experience it, but it comes back pretty reliably. I've already described it above; up to 17 gigabytes of memory usage for an account with less than one gigabyte of synced content. I'd like to fully uninstall and reinstall, but this is literally impossible without y'all's assistance, as documented in your own instructions, as linked to in my initial post, and relinked here for convenience. To more precisely specify which section I'm referring, I've included a screenshot of the bit of the instructions telling customers to request assistance in order to be provided instructions how to remove your software from our computer fully.

Screenshot 2023-11-30 at 12.21.20 PM.png
I'd prefer to get this assistance without having to wait for your app to use more ram than my entire system has again, as this has implications for the life of my SSD by way of excessive swap memory usage, and may literally require me to purchase a new drive substantially sooner.

heartpunk
Explorer | Level 4

Screenshot 2023-11-30 at 3.52.21 PM.png

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

I appreciate the additional info, @heartpunk.

I understand you have an issue with CPU spikes, so I would suggest taking a look at this article as well.

If the info there doesn't help, can we send you an email, so we can investigate the issues you're having in more depth?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

heartpunk
Explorer | Level 4

I didn't mention CPU once. That is not in any way an issue I'm having. It's RAM usage that's an issue. Yes, please email me.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Sure, @heartpunk. I just emailed you, so we'll continue there.

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropbox Staff
    heartpunk Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?