cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can't see my most recent files in my "recent files" tab

I can't see my most recent files in my "recent files" tab

bjl2
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Since I updated and now use SmartSync the "recent files" is no longer showing the most recent files.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Thanks for getting back to me on this, @bjl2

Hmm. :thinking: At this point, I’d recommend taking this discussion to email to further investigate. For this reason, I sent you an email to the email address associated with your Forum profile. 

Please check your inbox for my latest message and we’ll take it from there. Cheers!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

25 Replies 25

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @bjl2

At first, please note that Smart Sync is feature that allows you to save space on your hard drive, while your Recent files tab shows you files in which you had recent activity in. 

Having said that, could you please confirm if your desktop app is showing that it’s up to date? Could you also please provide me with a screenshot (omitting personal info) of what your Dropbox icon reads when you hover over it? 

Thanks in advance!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

bjl2
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thanks for such a quick response.  Yes I am familiar with what SmartSync does/meant for (although I think there could be clearer explanation of how to use in conjuction with selective sync as I had quite a few trial and errors on both a MAC and PC until a. I could free up space and b.  could see all my files on my desktop) but now back to the question at hand.

What I am not seeing in "recent files" is basically scans that I do from a scanner that save directly a Dropbox folder.  They always showed in "recent files" in the past until I started to use Smartsync.  Right now I'm typing this on a MAC and I can see "66.3.77 Up to Date" when I hover over the icon. I would have sent you a screen shot of my "recent files (which likewise said "up to date" but since my last posting I went ahead and renamed those files from the desktop so now of course they do how as in recent.  Before I did that the most recent shown was 9 hours ago.  

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Thanks for the swift reply, @bjl2

Since it’s showing the expected files, if you do experience this behavior again, I’d recommend contacting our Support team for a more in depth look into this matter. 

Spoiler
I also wanted to note that, since you mention that you’re on the 66.3.77 version of the desktop app, it means that you’re on the beta version and, due to these builds still being in the testing process, you could experience an inconsistent experience. In general, the beta version can be recognized by a xx.3.xx, instead of the xx.4.xx. For this reason, you can try and install the latest stable version (65.4.177). 
In any case, let me know if you have any other questions!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

bjl2
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thanks so much Lusil for trying to help.

It's only now showing the expected files since I renamed them. So I just did a test scan (maybe 45  minutes ago)  of a document that sends directly to Dropbox.  And I have the same problem. It’s not showing up in recent although if I go to my files (Finder) it is there.  It used to show up before I upgraded to Smartsync.  I did update before I did the scan.  The screenshot below does show in recent files though!

That is very odd that I’ve been on a beta. Anyway I just updated it as you suggested.

Its even worse on my Windows 10 machine:  Recent Files haven’t updated since yesterday and its been online.

Windows is version 66.3.77

Screen shot also attached.

I try to attach screenshots here but keep getting "An Unexpected Error has occured"

bjl2
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Screenshots

[removed personal info]

[removed personal info]

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey again, @bjl2.

Although your screenshots definitely provide a better understanding of what you're seeing, I removed the shared links for security purposes - apologies for that, since you went through the trouble of doing so. 

Moving on to your concern, you mention:

@bjl2 wrote: 
Windows is version 66.3.77
Could you please confirm if you’re still experiencing this on the device that you’ve updated to the latest stable version (65.4.177)?

Thanks in advance! :slight_smile:

P.S. To attach a screenshot to your post, try one of the following options:Attach image.png

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

bjl2
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thanks again and thanks for removing those file links.  

Still same problem with with latest stable build (MAC) and but when I install 65.4.177 it starts and then updates itself to 66.3.77.

One issue seems to be to me that files uploaded directly to dropbox.com do not show up as "recent files" on desktop.

Why however the Windows machine hasn't updated recent files since yesterday is another issue.  That one seems to me to be that changes made on local files on the MAC that have synced with dropbox.com are not then syncing back to the Windows machine. That had all worked just fine before Smartsync.

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Thanks for getting back to me on this, @bjl2

Hmm. :thinking: At this point, I’d recommend taking this discussion to email to further investigate. For this reason, I sent you an email to the email address associated with your Forum profile. 

Please check your inbox for my latest message and we’ll take it from there. Cheers!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Michael S.225
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I just lost my recent files list after the last update.  Really liked that that feature and want it back!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Lusil Dropbox Staff
    bartgrefte Explorer | Level 3
    Tom H.22 Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?