cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to downgrade the version of Dropbox on the computer to an older one? new update.

Is there a way to downgrade the version of Dropbox on the computer to an older one? new update.

tym07
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Is there a way to downgrade the version of Dropbox on the computer. I'm on a Mac (OS v. 12.6) and I just updated to the newest version today (10/25/22), and the dropbox folder has disappeared from my desktop and is only available on cloud storage. You have to go to the finder sidebar to get to your files (an extra step). Would like to find a way to return to the previous version. Any suggestions?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@tym07 wrote:

Is there a way to downgrade the version of Dropbox on the computer.

No, because even if you install the older version, it will automatically update almost immediately.

I just updated to the newest version today (10/25/22), and the dropbox folder has disappeared from my desktop and is only available on cloud storage.

Storing the Dropbox folder in CloudStorage is a new requirement from Apple; not Dropbox.

View solution in original post

23 Replies 23

tym07
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

There was an update today (10/25/22) and after I did so, the dropbox folder on my desktop has been moved to a "secure" location, but I can't find it on my hard drive. I'm using a MacBook Pro and MacOS 12.6. NEVERMIND.

Found the solution in the link to the email that was send regarding this update:

If you had removed your Dropbox folder from Locations, it can be restored by following these steps: 

1. Open Finder.
  2. Click Finder in the menu bar.
  3. Open Preferences.
  4. Click the Sidebar tab.
  5. Under Locations, check Cloud Storage.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@tym07 wrote:

Is there a way to downgrade the version of Dropbox on the computer.

No, because even if you install the older version, it will automatically update almost immediately.

I just updated to the newest version today (10/25/22), and the dropbox folder has disappeared from my desktop and is only available on cloud storage.

Storing the Dropbox folder in CloudStorage is a new requirement from Apple; not Dropbox.

tym07
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Too bad. The reason why Dropbox was so superior to many other services was that folder on the desktop. Even Google Drive allows one to have a folder on the desktop.

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @tym07, thanks for reaching out about this.

As part of the Dropbox for macOS update, the Dropbox folder must be located in ~/Library/CloudStorage, as you correctly pointed out.

Some other things to note about the Dropbox folder location:

- Changing the location of your Dropbox folder is no longer supported by macOS. 
- Due to the change of the Dropbox folder location, files that were previously linked in some third-party applications may need to be linked again.
- Storing your Dropbox folder on an external drive is no longer supported by macOS.
- Your Dropbox folder in Finder will now be found under Locations and no longer under Favorites.
- Individual folders can be moved from your Dropbox folder to Favorites for quick access.

We hope that helps!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Ricky Wong
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I prefer the older version of Dropbox where we can move files seamlessly as if it is a local folder and auto sync to cloud storage. I am not happy dropbox takes away this feature. What is the point of using Dropbox anymore ? 

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

@Megan wrote:

As part of the Dropbox for macOS update, the Dropbox folder must be located in ~/Library/CloudStorage, as you correctly pointed out.

- Changing the location of your Dropbox folder is no longer supported by macOS. 

@Megan, Yes and No!!!

There are multiple interfaces provided by MacOS 😉. What interface particular developer will select (i.e. Dropbox development) is up to the developer (Apple doesn't force you, just provides different opportunities). So, NO - Dropbox (or any other application) CAN use whatever available and "no longer supported by macOS" is nothing more than pure try to excuse! 🤦 On other side - YES, the selected interface mandates your application to select mount point in ~/Library/CloudStorage. Only mountpoint name may be changed (i.e. Dropbox folder). 🤷 That's it unfortunately, but AGAIN - the choice is up to Dropbox! The underlying layer is still available - FUSE. 😉 There are no such limitations - you just need to keep application syncing ability; not to rely on Mac sync system (as you are doing on Dropbox application recent versions).

wpd
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I too prefer the older approach to storing files in Dropbox.  This change makes Dropbox practically unusable for me in MacOS.  I rely upon the fact that Dropbox replicates my files across all of my devices.  If I ever lose access to Dropbox for any reason (perhaps Dropbox servers are hacked or undergo a massive DoS attack), I still have my files on my devices.  I rely on the fact that I can open a text file in my favorite text editor, edit it, save it, and have it replicated across all of my devices.

This change effectively makes Dropbox useless to me on the Mac.  I might as well use iCloud Drive instead of Dropbox.

I wish I had realized what this was going to do to me when I blithely clicked "Accept" when Dropbox prompted me to move all of my files.

This is a shame.  I have been a long time user of Dropbox (since 2007).  I can no longer recommend it.

Michel G.7
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution
The same for me : the new features are horrible !
There are a lot of limitations : I don’t have the courage to enumerate them.
Really sad !

BILLbilly01
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi! I just upgraded mine and I had the same issue. I'm feeling so bad about hitting that upgrade button in the first place now.

Also, my dropbox folder won't even start syncing again as well. It just keeps saying "Indexing XX,XXX files" and the number just stays the same.

I think we're screwed. 😞

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Michel G.7 Helpful | Level 7
    Ben S.4 Helpful | Level 5
    Megan Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?