cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linux - Unable to change Dropbox directory

Linux - Unable to change Dropbox directory

mike _.
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I'm using Fedora Workstation 25 with GNOME.

Trying to change the Dropbox directory results in the utterly useless message "Unexpected errors occurred. Your Dropbox is ok!".

Steps to recreate problem:

• Dropbox directory is currently ~/Dropbox
  • Start Dropbox application by running ~/.dropbox-dist/dropboxd
  • Right click sys tray icon and select Preferences.
  • Click "Move…" button under Account > Location
  • Select directory /local on which my user has write permissions.
  • The message "Unexpected errors occurred. Your Dropbox is ok!" appears.

Observations:

• The directory /local/Dropbox is sucesfully created.
  • One of the directories in ~/Dropbox is created in /local/Dropbox/ It's empty. Deleting that directory from ~/Dropbox before attempting the move doesn't help.
  • Selecting other directories on which my user has write permissions results in the same behaviour.
  • Permissions and ownership of my Dropbox directory and user's home directory are OK. (Troubleshooting advice for Linux at https://help.dropbox.com/desktop-web/move-dropbox-folder is pooly written. sudo is not needed on all those commands. "Internet menu" is not a thing in all (any?) desktop environments.)
  • There's a log file in ~/.dropbox/logs/1 but it's a binary blob so useless without something to make it human readable and I can't locate such a thing.
  • Deleting all my files from ~/Dropbox/  waiting for sync to complete and then attempting the move doesn't help.
  • When attemping the move after deleting all my files from ~/Dropbox/  /local/Dropbox/.dropbox.cache/ is succesfully created. It's empty.
  • Pausing syncing before attempting the move doesn't help.
  • There don't seem to be any options that can be passed to ~/.dropbox-dist/dropboxd to get more info.  (Adding --help prevents it running!)
66 Replies 66

dumon
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

great, thank you much, I will give a try as I have time. I will let you know if it wroks for me) for now I have switched to another cloud ) Cheers, mate

dumon
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

no it does not work for me (((

0x000000
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi dumon,
Mount any ext4 partition on ~/Dropbox/

Then delete ~/.dropbox 

Restart dropbox, it will give you option to select another location, later you can unmount new partition & completely delete ~/Dropbox folder.

hrvig
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
I'm getting this exact error. Did you find a solution?

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @hrvig, can you elaborate a bit on that for me please? Do you have the same inquiry as the OP on this thread or a different one? Thanks in advance! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

hrvig
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hey Jane, I'm dual-booting Debian 10 and Windows 10 on the same harddisc. I'm running Debian 10 on a ext4 partition and Windows 10 on ntfs partition. I want to store my files only once on my harddisc so I want a partition, which both debian 10 and Windows 10 can read/write. Initially I though ntfs could do it but Dropbox refuses to install on anything else than ext4 on my debian 10 partition. Any help would be appreciated 🙂

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Thanks for the detailed explanation @hrvig; kindly note that this is slightly different than what's been discussed here, however I’ll do my best to further advise! :slight_smile:

While making the Dropbox folder visible from both systems isn’t currently a supported configuration, you can still install the Dropbox desktop application for each user profile separately & utilize Selective Sync to reduce your overall resources usage & load of the client. 

Hopefully my message points you towards the right direction & please do let me know how you get on with my advice or if you have any follow-up questions!

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jane Dropbox Staff
    hrvig New member | Level 2
    0x000000 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?