cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loading Dropbox in Windows 11

Loading Dropbox in Windows 11

LDrop
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Recently purchased new Dell desktop with Windows 11 Home (NOT in S mode). Have been using Dropbox for years with windows 10. Trying to setup Dropbox in Windows 11. I go to the Dropbox website and click on download app. Screen then displays a Dropbox message that says the Dropbox app is already installed. I check the apps on the computer and there are no Dropbox apps installed. I did install, during initial setup, the Dropbox in S mode as that was the only Dropbox app available in the Microsoft Store. Then after several hours trying to figure out how it worked, I researched Windows 11 in S mode and found out it does not apply to my computer (again, computer not running in S mode) so I uninstalled the Dropbox in S mode app from the computer. Now I can't load the regular Dropbox app. How do I get the regular app installed?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @LDrop, thanks for posting to our Community today.

Can you clarify why you aren't able to install the Dropbox desktop app on your computer? Are you getting some kind of error message?

If you click on this link, do you perhaps get a pop-up that suggests you install the S mode version instead?

If so, there should be an option to skip this and continue to our website to install the desktop client.

Can you try and let me know what you find?

Thanks!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

19 Replies 19

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @LDrop, thanks for posting to our Community today.

Can you clarify why you aren't able to install the Dropbox desktop app on your computer? Are you getting some kind of error message?

If you click on this link, do you perhaps get a pop-up that suggests you install the S mode version instead?

If so, there should be an option to skip this and continue to our website to install the desktop client.

Can you try and let me know what you find?

Thanks!

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

LDrop
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I tried the link you supplied in your reply and it worked. The Dropbox desktop app downloaded and installed and I now have access via the File Explorer. I did not get an option for the S mode, it went straight to the desktop app. Once it loaded I then had Dropbox in my File Explorer

If it helps here is what I did initially:

1. Once I had gone through setting up my new Dell desktop, I went to the M/S app store and downloaded Dropbox in S mode (only Dropbox app available). I was unaware of what S mode was at the time.

2. Once it loaded I could not figure out how to access Dropbox other than drag and drop from the website. Dropbox did not show up in File Explorer.

3. After researching S mode I found out that is not what I want so I uninstalled Dropbox in S Mode. I then restarted the computer

4. I then logged into my Dropbox website, went to settings and clicked on install desktop app.

5. A Dropbox screen came up that said that Dropbox was already installed and there was a blue button below the message that says Open App. I clicked on the button and nothing happened and dropbox still did not show up in my File Explorer.

6. I searched my computer's app list for Dropbox so I could delete it and restart. Dropbox did not exist in my computer list of installed apps.

7. Finally gave up and went in search of help online.

Anyway - your link did work and the desktop install app downloaded properly. I am now online with Dropbox. Thank you for your help.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

That's great to hear, @LDrop!

I'm happy the download link worked for you.

If you need anything else, make sure to let us know.

Have a great weekend!

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Csansom001
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi! I recently purchased a new MacBook and installed Windows Parallel (Standard Edition). I was able to install Dropbox on the Mac side of things, but am having trouble downloading on the Parallels side. See error messages below. I tried the two links to download at the below link:

Dropbox installer failed to start - Dropbox Help

When I downloaded the full installation, it still looks for an internet connection.

I also am not running in S Mode. I tried to exit out of it but when I get to that screen in the Microsoft Store, it says my computer is not in S Mode. I initially had S Mode running but it did not show my files in file explorer or in my task bar. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Csansom001, does that mean you're trying to install the Dropbox app on a virtual machine?

And can you let me know exactly what kind of error message you got?

A screenshot of the error would be really helpful.

Thanks!

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Csansom001
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi @Hannah , I guess it does mean I am trying to install on a virtual machine. Also, my Windows is not in S Mode just to clarify.

See the attached screenshots below!

Error message that pops up first:

Message #1.png

Error Message that pops up second:

Message #2.png

Csansom001
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
Hi @Hannah, any ideas?

Thanks!

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Csansom001, most likely you have a recent Mac running on the M1 Silicon chip, which is ARM-based. 

Currently, the Dropbox desktop application for Windows cannot run on an ARM chip, and only the S Mode version of the app can be installed.

If you have any further queries, feel free to message back.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Csansom001
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
Hey , thanks for the response - I do have a new Mac with the M1 chip so that is the case.

Does Dropbox have any plans to release a version that will work with the M1 chip as the S mode is lacking in capabilities?

Thanks
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropbox Staff
    emman12 Explorer | Level 3
    GSmithsimon New member | Level 2
    Megan Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?