cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mac Finder does not find PDF files within DropBox folders.

Mac Finder does not find PDF files within DropBox folders.

Lsquared
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I have known existing files that Mac Finder will not find if they are in a DropBox folder.  The files are treated as if they are nonexistent.  If I move such a file outside of DropBox, Mac Finder finds it.  If I set Mac Finder to search "My Mac" it is more likely to find the files, though not all of them.  If I set Mac Finder to search "DropBox" it doesn't find any of them.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Lsquared, could try these steps to see if they help with searching in Finder?

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there, @Lsquared, welcome to our Community! 

Does this happen with .pdf files only, or all of them? Can you clarify the Dropbox version that you have installed on your device at the moment? 

You can find this by locating your Dropbox icon on your menu bar, next to your WiFi and hovering your mouse over there. If you have any screenshots of this behavior, feel free to attach them back to your response. 

Let me know more, and we'll take it from there! 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Lsquared
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi Megan,

It seems to be an intermittent error/bug.  I know that it has occurred for a number of PDF files, and it is often when I'm looking for a specific PDF that I notice the problem.  However, for certain files, particularly if I have searched for them, then found them, it seems that they can be found again. 

My DropBox version is: 

"171.4.6182 (Up to date)"

Below are three screen shots showing the search error.  The first two show a failed search for a PDF.  The search results pane in each are empty. Note that the searched-for file name has been copy-pasted from the actual file name, to ensure that no spelling errors cause the problem.  Here, "This Mac" is the search area specified on the Mac harddrive.

A search window with the filename that shows nothing found.A search window with the filename that shows nothing found.

Same search target, this time ensuring that "DropBox" is selected as the location on the Mac Harddrive to search for the file.

Screenshot 2023-04-20 at 9.26.10 PM.png

The third screenshot shows the location of the searched-for PDF file, which is within DropBox (on the Mac harddrive).

A search window showing the actual location of the file I was searching for. It is within DropBox.A search window showing the actual location of the file I was searching for. It is within DropBox.

Here is a successful search for the same file.  I've copied it to another folder on the Mac harddrive, but NOT in DropBox.  You can see it shows up in the search results pane.

Screenshot 2023-04-20 at 9.31.45 PM.png

Any help would be appreciated!

Best wishes,

Lsquared

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Lsquared, could try these steps to see if they help with searching in Finder?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Lsquared
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thanks, Jay!  That exactly solved the problem!  It also seems to fit with the fact that, previously, if I found a file, I was able to find it again.  So, perhaps those individual files had become indexed somehow.  But with your solution of getting Spotlight to re-index the entire hard drive, it applies to everything.  

That raises the question, does Spotlight need to be periodically re-indexed (to make up for all the new files that are added in the interim)?  Or will it index all of those, one at a time, as they are added to the hard drive?

Best,

LSquared

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Lsquared, that's a good question, that happens to be outside the area of expertise, I am afraid. 

However, it's recommended by Apple, in case you're experiencing issues when searching for files. If you need to know more about this, feel free to reach out to Apple, in order for them to give you more details about the specifics. 

I hope this helps! 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    Lsquared Explorer | Level 4
    Jay Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?