cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Manage two different Dropbox accounts on one computer.

Manage two different Dropbox accounts on one computer.

wzeller
Explorer | Level 3

What is the best way to manage two different Dropbox accounts on my PC?
The two accounts must remain separate and must not be synchronized.

First account is = Basic (Free)
Second account is = Plus

What is the best solution?
Thank you in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

@wzeller, Good questions. I skipped them by mistake.

At the beginning let mention that it's a good idea if you have any Dropbox extras (like online only files and backups) turned on to turn them off (for files make them offline) in advance! In such a way you will avoid some possible troubles (like "ghost" files 👹) while switching accounts.

@wzeller wrote:

- Will all be overwritten by the new Plus account?
- Or will they directories/files stay as current, and the Plus account will add to the current one new ones?

No, your current files won't be neither overridden nor merged/added to your new Plus account. Once new account is linked to your Dropbox application (either with or without reinstall) the existing folder will be renamed (usually added some suffix number or so) and new Dropbox folder matching the new account will bring up. Your old Dropbox folder (already renamed) will stay accessible local, but won't sync anymore. The existing link in your file manager (Explorer in your case) will point the new folder (the old will stay no directly pointed to). You can do whatever you want with the old folder, like any other folder on your machine. 😉 That's it.

Hope this clarifies matter.

PS: Another option to keep both accounts in sync local is running 2 official Dropbox application simultaneous, but on 2 different local accounts (if this is convenient for you). On single local account may work only one official Dropbox application, but this limitation is not act in different contexts (local accounts). 🤫

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

maher1982
Super User
Maybe you can use the Dropbox desktop application for one account and the Dropbox website for the other.
Install the desktop app for the Plus account and access the Basic (Free) account through a web browser.
This way, they won't sync automatically, and you can keep them separate.

wzeller
Explorer | Level 3

Hello, and thank you.
Yes this could be definitely the solution.

Just some thoughts regarding.

I have currently my Basic account working via the Windows Dropbox desktop application.
So there are a lot of directories and files.
Should I go along like this:
1. I make a backup copy of all my basic data to my local PC.

2. I will logout from my Basic account.
3. I will purchase the Plus account.

4 I will open the Plus account via the Dropbox desktop application.
Questions:
- Do I have to uninstall the the current Dropbox desktop application with the Basic account, after Step 2.?  And before I reinstall and open the Plus account via the Dropbox desktop application?

- And if so, will my Basic account still remain online, so I can access it via my web-browser?

Thank you in advance.

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

Hi @wzeller,

As far as I can follow your thoughts you have just one account (Basic) and want to have Plus account. ðŸ¤” Am I correct? In such a case, you don't need second account, but just upgrade you current one. 😉 So you wouldn't need to switch between 2 accounts at all.

@wzeller wrote:

- Do I have to uninstall the the current Dropbox desktop application with the Basic account, after Step 2.?  And before I reinstall and open the Plus account via the Dropbox desktop application?

If you still want 2 account for some reason, you don't need to uninstall your application. You can unlink (sign out) your current account from your application (Preferences -> Account) and link (sign in) to the other one. Would be enough.

@wzeller wrote:

- And if so, will my Basic account still remain online, so I can access it via my web-browser?

All your accounts can be accessed at any time using web browser. So yes it will be. Just keep in mind that to stays active, a Basic account needs to be used least once per year! Otherwise will be wiped out automatic with all its content.

Hope this helps.

PS: Alternative for accessing 2 or more accounts (local simultaneous) could be using alternative applications (no just official Dropbox application only). 😉 There are such.

wzeller
Explorer | Level 3

Hello and thank you.

Yes, I need to have two accounts.
My current Basic and additional the Plus.

Questions:
When I unlink (sign out) my current Basic account from via my application (Preferences -> Account) and link (sign in) to my other new Plus account, I wounder what will be happens with my current local directory / files, located at my local  C:/ drive in the directory /Dropbox/.
- Or will they directories/files stay as current, and the Plus account will add to the current one new ones?
- Or will when I create the desktop application for the new Plus account, Dropbox create a new directory like /Dropbox_02/ ?

Thank you in advance for any hint.

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

@wzeller, Good questions. I skipped them by mistake.

At the beginning let mention that it's a good idea if you have any Dropbox extras (like online only files and backups) turned on to turn them off (for files make them offline) in advance! In such a way you will avoid some possible troubles (like "ghost" files 👹) while switching accounts.

@wzeller wrote:

No, your current files won't be neither overridden nor merged/added to your new Plus account. Once new account is linked to your Dropbox application (either with or without reinstall) the existing folder will be renamed (usually added some suffix number or so) and new Dropbox folder matching the new account will bring up. Your old Dropbox folder (already renamed) will stay accessible local, but won't sync anymore. The existing link in your file manager (Explorer in your case) will point the new folder (the old will stay no directly pointed to). You can do whatever you want with the old folder, like any other folder on your machine. 😉 That's it.

Hope this clarifies matter.

PS: Another option to keep both accounts in sync local is running 2 official Dropbox application simultaneous, but on 2 different local accounts (if this is convenient for you). On single local account may work only one official Dropbox application, but this limitation is not act in different contexts (local accounts). 🤫

wzeller
Explorer | Level 3

Hello, and thank you again.

Things are getting very clear step by step.

One more point regarding your final PS: Note.

In order to keep both accounts in sync local, would it be possible running 2 official Dropbox application (one Basic | one Plus)  simultaneous, on 2 different local accounts, on the same PC? This would be very convenient.
How would this work or should be setup in reality, with one Basic AND one Plus?
If you would have time to explain this, I say thank you in advance.

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

@wzeller wrote:

If you would have time to explain this, I say thank you in advance.

Hm..🤔 To be honest I'm not sure what you ask me for actually. I explained it already and don't know what to add. Ok, will repeat in other words.

Official Dropbox application is limited to handle only one account locally (or 2 linked accounts - one personal and one team). This limitation is company politics (as seems). The application keeps its configuration (including linked account and local folder place) in users configurations (context). If you use 2 (or more) local accounts (contexts), you can run so many official Dropbox applications and every one link to different Dropbox account (they stay invisible to each other, so can run simultaneous). You will need to be logged in both accounts simultaneous so both applications can be launched and keep sync. In such a way you won't need to unlink/link something.

Hope it's a bit more clear now.

wzeller
Explorer | Level 3

Hello & good morning,
I just answer now, as it was late in Austria yesterday;)

Yes, you right, it was already explained clear in you previous email, and my repeating question was nonessential. I guess I was already weary from the day.

All clear so fare, and I can now handle it with a wise go forward.

Thank you again for all the hints.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

wzeller Explorer | Level 3
    Здравко Legendary | Level 20
What do Dropbox user levels mean?