cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple Hard Drive Synchronisations

Multiple Hard Drive Synchronisations

teddyferent62
Explorer | Level 3

Hello,

I'm going to have to different Mac on two different places and need to synchronise all my datas so when I switch from one computer to another, I can access all my data. The fact is that I have multiple hard drives cause I need lot of space. For each mac, I get 4 disk storage (one SSD inside the mac, and one or two SSD and one SATA). Dropbox Advanced subscription allow me to back up unlimited data, which is perfect for me (I have 20To of Data).

Is there a way to asked dropbox to synchronise all my disk storages ? As a intensive user of dropbox, I know that I can only select one location for my main dropbox folder. The easiest way to proceed will be to have only one folder to synchronise, but the fact is there is no SSD on the market with 12To space ... 

Does anyone know the solution ? Can I define one place for my dropbox folder and then dispatch the folders on other disk storages or does this solution will not synchronise my datas ?

Best

T/

12 Replies 12

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @teddyferent62, thanks for messaging the Community.

Currently, it isn't possible to store the Dropbox folder on multiple hard drives, or split it into different folders for those to be on other drives.

Other drives can't be made to upload into the Dropbox folder itself, however, there is the external drive backup feature, which might be helpful for your needs.

If you have any further queries, feel free to message back.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

teddyferent62
Explorer | Level 3
Thank you for your proposition but in my case, the solution you gave don’t work cause I need to access my data at any moments and instantaneously.
The solution you proposed is interesting if I want to backup my data anyways like I did with time machine.

I read there is a service called « selective sync ». Do you think that I can select some folder outside my main Dropbox folder or it only works with folders inside the main folder ?

Also, maybe I can create some alias of my folders inside the main folders ?

Thanks for your reply

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Selective sync is only used to prevent folders currently on your Dropbox account from syncing to your computer. It can't pull folders from outside the Dropbox folder.

Using any form of alias, symlink or junction point to get outside folders into Dropbox isn't supported and would result in this behavior.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Harry13
Explorer | Level 3

Hi all! I need to sync my dropbox folder in my main hdd with another identical dropbox folder on an external hdd and the cloud. The reason for this is that when I leave office I need to take the external hdd with my files and use it offline on any other computer (possibly making changes and additions) but when I get back I need the files in the external hdd to sync with the main hdd and the cloud. Is that possible?

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Harry13, thanks for reaching out to us.

Unfortunately, what you'd like to do isn't currently possible with Dropbox.

There is a similar idea in our ideas section, if you'd like to up-vote it, to show your support.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Rich
Super User II

@Harry13 wrote:

... I need to take the external hdd with my files and use it offline on any other computer (possibly making changes and additions) but when I get back I need the files in the external hdd to sync with the main hdd and the cloud.

That's not something that Dropbox does. You'd have to find another solution to manage the sync between your Dropbox folder and your external drive.

Harry13
Explorer | Level 3

What if I setup dropbox on my laptop but use an external drive as my local dropbox folder. I will then have a dropbox with all my files on my desktop and a dropbox with all my files on an external drive. Will this work?

Rich
Super User II

@Harry13 wrote:

What if I setup dropbox on my laptop but use an external drive as my local dropbox folder.

You're risking your data if you choose to do this. If your Dropbox folder is stored on an external drive and that drive is disconnected while Dropbox is running or Dropbox is started before the drive is connected, Dropbox could see the missing drive as a mass deletion and sync that deletion across your other devices and your account online.

Storing your Dropbox folder on an external drive is strongly NOT recommended.

Harry13
Explorer | Level 3

What about deleted files restoration feature?

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    Harry13 Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?