cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: New icon showing up in macOS dock

New icon showing up in macOS dock

ianmh
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Today, a Dropbox icon appeared in my dock that wasn't there before.  Does anyone know a way to disable it and go back to the old behavior, where the only Dropbox UI was the menu item?

39 Replies 39

teamvie
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

came here for this as well. it just opens the dropbox folder. don't need it. can't unpin it, can't quit it, no option in preferences to remove it, nothing. if i quit dropbox from the menu bar it disappears. 🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄

v172.4.7555

Screenshot 2023-04-19 at 11.04.06 PM.png

Jona Was
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Same thing's happening to me. Version 172.4.7555

I'm on a MacBook Pro M1 with MacOS Ventura.

alan91
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Same thing's happening to me. Version 172.4.7555. Very annoying to have an app run rougue and not respect my workspace. I either have this icon on the dock or completely quit dropbox. Please tell me this is a bug dropbox is not forcing an advertisement on us? This is already a pro account.

Scott S.77
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I am also having this issue. I have Mac OS Ventura 13.3.1 and Dropbox version is 172.4.755. Even when I right-click on the Dropbox icon and select "Hide," it remains in my dock.

Screenshot 2023-04-19 at 11.15.06 AM.png

lorata
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Screen Shot 2023-04-19 at 2.36.48 PM.png

Same here. Version 172.4.7555, MacOS Monterey 12.6.3.

Unlike, say, Fantastical (an app that I run from the menubar but has a dock icon if I open a full window), choosing "quit" from the dock icon does nothing, and cmd+Q from the window it opens also does nothing. As others have said, quitting from the menubar quits dropbox entirely and stops sync.

This is not expected or desired behaviour and is inconsistent with how Dropbox has behaved up to an hour ago. I restarted my computer this afternoon and now I have a dock icon that will not go away.

BenDBX
Community Manager
Go to solution

Hi Everybody,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. We are actively investigating this issue. I will post an update here as soon as I have more information.

Regards,

Ben

scottorchard
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I'm having the same issue, unexpected icon and can't seem to hide or remove the icon.

MacOS Ventura 13.3.1 (22E261)

Dropbox v172.4.7555

dr_chicken
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I have the same issue. Dropbox appeared in my dock today, clicking it takes me to my Dropbox folder, clicking quit does nothing. If I use the quit option in the top bar, the app quits and both top bar and dock icons disappear. Both come back when I reopen Dropbox.

Desired behavior is to have Dropbox running/syncing in background without a dock icon showing.

MBA M1 2020

MacOS Ventura 13.3.1

v172.4.7555

dr_chicken_0-1681933173953.png

Fixthedock
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

If Dropbox support isn't aware of this and has to "investigate", that is very, very troubling. I get to decide what goes in my Dock, not Dropbox or any other developer. So, this is either a bug (then fix it...and don't perform updates without explicitly asking our permission) or it's intentional. And if it is intentional then, at the very least, have the common decency to allow us to hide the icon.  Seriously.

rvawt172
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

This happened to me as well. Was not there yesterday, showed up today and won't go away. I'm running v. 172.4.7555 on Big Sur (11.7.6).

Need more support?