cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Notifications about beta

Notifications about beta

Cosmotic
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

How many times do I have to click "no thanks" before Dropbox stops asking me to try the beta by adding a huge red bubble to my menu bar icon?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

aiaqii
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

so I had this problem until about now and resolved it with the help of support chat, so thought I'd post it here, 'cause ppl are still posting in this thread.

if you still has this issue and haven't resolved it first of all check your version (you can find it in preferences or just hovering over the icon in menu), if it's something like 173.3.6706 then you already running beta, the .3 tells it, stable has .4 in the version. if so, go to your general settings on the site (https://www.dropbox.com/account/general) find 'Early releases' section, turn it off.

after that quit your app, redownload stable from the site, reinstall, wait a minute (if you didn't turn off the option it's gonna update itself to beta and restart), check again that you're running .4 in the version.

everything should be fine now.

still don't know if I turned this option somehow a while ago or it was on by default.

View solution in original post

19 Replies 19

Cosmotic
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Cosmotic_0-1680837164629.png

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Cosmotic, thanks for your post today.

While you can postpone the update of the Dropbox application to the new Dropbox for macOS version, I'm afraid you'll have to do it at some point, otherwise the application won't work properly after a while.

That's why the notification keeps coming back, however, we appreciate your feedback here, and I will pass it along to our team.

If you need anything else, please let us know.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Cosmotic
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

This isn't postponing an update, this is postponing being a tester.

Cosmotic
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

deleted

FunkySmell
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Came here to report this exact issue.

I have been clicking on "No Thanks" forever now. Please stop this madness!

exxtreem
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

100% this. The fact that I had to even come to this site to type this shows how wrong it is.

It's seriously obnoxious to repeatedly bring back a notification that purports to give me a choice. I've been clicking "no thanks" every week for about 4 months now? (granted, everything seems like an eternity given the hellish reality we now inhabit. still—no excuse for Dropbox to REPEATEDLY add their own contribution.)

If we have to upgrade to the new version, RELEASE THE NEW VERSION! otherwise stop bothering me.

exxtreem
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

You do realize that this response in no way addresses the issue right? To reiterate what the original poster pointed out, DB is nagging us to be a beta tester—not to upgrade to a new version, because there IS no new version.

If we have no choice then force the beta upgrade.

If we have a choice, respect that and stop the nag notification.

What DB is doing now is gaslighting—pretending to give a choice and ignoring it and then being surprised when people don't like it.

ColbyN
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I have the same issue and I'm not interested in being a beta tester while working on active projects – help us turn these notifications off!

joemoewin
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

"The beta experience for Dropbox on macOS is available now."

I think I've seen this message 20 times over the last couple months, and I've answered "No Thanks" each time. The red notification dot is very attention-grabbing in the top right area of my work computer and each time I roll my eyes and click the No Thanks again.

If you *really* need beta testers, please email me. Maybe I can be persuaded. Either way, please consider stopping pushing these notifications every week.

Thank you.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

AshBox Helpful | Level 5
    cjwoodford New member | Level 2
    idontlikeit New member | Level 2
    exxtreem Helpful | Level 6
What do Dropbox user levels mean?