cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Photo Library not reachable on macOS after Dropbox sync

Photo Library not reachable on macOS after Dropbox sync

Mirna D.
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hello all,

I am running MaCos Ventura 13.1. I have both iCloud and Dropbox storage for my photos (call me paranoid if you like :-). I like the ability to select a photo from the photo library when I compose messages in Apple mail, for example. Since a few days ago Dropbox application announced that they wish to move files into a new space and I authorised it. Since that time the application icon shows that it has problems syncing with the cloud files and neither photos nor spotlight work. Thank you for your help ! 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Emmet
Community Manager
Go to solution

Hello everyone, 

We have an update on this. This has occurred as Apple no longer allows Photos Library to be synced with cloud-storage services. You can find out more about this here in the Expected Changes article

Regards, 

Emmet 

View solution in original post

31 Replies 31

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Mirna D., thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Can you send us a screenshot of the message you mentioned on the application icon?

And if you try to rebuild the Spotlight index, does that help?

Cheers!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Mirna D.
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Dear Hannah,

many thanks for your help ! Rebuilding the spotlight did not help, since the Photo library is greyed out in the choice of files to + or _ in the Spotlight privacy. Here is the screenshot of what happens when I try to open the Photo Library. It says that the Photo Library is in Dropbox and that I should move it back to Mac to able to open it. Best wishes ! Mirna

Capture d’écran 2023-01-11 à 16.24.04.png

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Mirna D., as it seems you're on the new version of Dropbox for Mac OS, Apple no longer allows Photos Library to be stored over cloud-storage services, so you'd need to move it to your local storage.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Mirna D.
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Many thanks Jay. This is what needed to be done and it works now

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Glad to have helped out, If you have any further queries in the future, feel free to message back.

Enjoy the remainder of your week!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Heather11
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
I am having the same issue - after the Dropbox upgrade, when I try to open the photo library, it produces an error, saying “Photo library is in Dropbox and needs to be moved to a folder on your Mac to open”. How do I move it to a folder on my Mac? I’ve tried to copy and paste Photo Library to my Mac folder, but it just gives the same error. I’m running Mac OS Monterey 12.6 Thanks in advance!

Mirna D.
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hello,

Jay's advice worked out for me. Just move the photo library out of the Dropbox folder (unfortunately this means that the photos are not saved on the Dropbox an more). To do this, go to finder and search for the photo library.

Best wishes, Mirna

Heather11
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
Thank you - will do!

awgd
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi there. I am also having this issue but the frustrating thing is that my photo library is not inside of dropbox. It's in its normal location on my system but it is being backed up to dropbox backup and sync. Can you please advise? I just upgraded to the new version of Dropbox for MacOS.

Upon digging around a bit further I see now (after I've updated to the new Dropbox app) that my Pictures folder is no longer in its normal location and is showing as a shortcut to Dropbox.

I will let the update re-index my files post-update (33,000 more to go!), restart my system, and see how it's looking then.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

OregonDean New member | Level 2
    cwilloch New member | Level 2
    KoMaXX New member | Level 2
    awgd Helpful | Level 6
    Mirna D. Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?