cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recent Dropbox - Mac 12.3 Monterey support

Recent Dropbox - Mac 12.3 Monterey support

Nousmedis
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

The official support page relating to Mac OS Monterey 12.3 Dropbox compatibility is 2 months old now, and Apple just released (April 2022) first beta version of 12.4 and patched 12.3 with 12.3.1, but still no references to current status other than "in late march we will release a beta version...". How can I know is the beta version is now secure or how many days, weeks or months (or years!) do we still need to wait for the final stable release of a 12.3 and up supported version of Dropbox?

137 Replies 137

uxian
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

@Michael B.10 wrote:

I assume this response only applies to Business and Teams accounts...

Not everyone with a personal account has been invited to the private beta. I've had my account set to enable early releases since support for M1 was in beta around January but haven't seen any hint of an invite.

zaak
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

"A public beta for full support of macOS will be available in early Q4. For now, you can still double-click to open files in Finder. Everything else is working as usual."

"Everything else is working as usual" is gas-lighting.  Yes, you can double-click files in Finder.  I've been doing it for a couple of months and personally I don't find it to be a big deal. It's the only issue with a workaround.

What about how folders and files that aren't synced show 0K as the size.  This is a total fail.
What about how the sync status icons often don't refresh properly?
What about how the status icons are often just plain wrong? Like a folder that is clearly local showing a cloud?
And then there's the biggest problem of all which is acknowledged as a feature:
https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Create-upload-and-share/Smart-Sync-changes-quot-modified-quot-date-o...

Dropbox SmartSync is an NFT.  Non Functioning Technology.

Michael B.10
Experienced | Level 13
Go to solution

@paul20 wrote:

Ok, so I am thinking of updating my Mac.  Should I go with the supported official version or a beta?  If I go with a beta, can I expect to get one that will suffice?  I have heard betas do not all roll out to all beta customers at the same time.

Seems a bit of a lottery with Dropbox saying nothing about roll out policy to different account types. I am on personal and even after starting on betas the fileproviderd/Cloudstorage change did not happen automatically. I hade to force it by completely uninstalling and starting from scratch. This has not worked for some people. Other people it has happened automatically and they are taken by surprise and don't know what has happened. 

CRD-CD415
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

@zaak 

Agree...as a paying business user, why should I have to resort to a beta version of a software to guinea pig test for a product I'm paying for.  FYI, I love the NFT acronym. I'll be borrowing that phrase. 

zaak
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

Anybody else getting a kick out of all the "kudos" and "leveling up" in the Community here as a result of calling out Dropbox? 

"Your post is awesome."

CRD-CD415
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

from zero to hero.

Rich895
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

You nailed it - Dropbox SmartSync is an NFT  - Non Functioning Technology.

The business community, especially the users of Dropbox are most impacted by this issue.  As a user dependent upon several thousand of PDF I have to access, the work around is unsatifactory.

When I contacted Dropbox at the suggestion of Adobe support, I was received with hostility at the call center.  Aside from being discurteous the Dropbox representative chose to put the blame Apple and me, the customer.   Companies that point fingers eventually suffer.   

I will ask our IT to find an alternative solution.  Companies such as Dropbox live on recurring revenues and that's how they measure performance - they appear to be more concerned about customer retention than managing change. 

Management team - why should we be paying for a service that is not working, at a minimum suspend all fees with the release of Monterey 12.3.

mandywr
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

today after  updating  Mac os  I got this pop up  ' Could not start  dropbox Please contact dropbox support with this txt file/ 

Formerly I was usig macos catalina 10.15.7. After a security alert from  apple I updated to mamonterey 12.5.1.
I can login to my dropbox account, so I wonder what the message means (perhaps  not updating my dropbox files ). I pop up gave a link to  the txt file. I do not know what to do about it.

bn.BUILD_KEY: Dropbox
bn.VERSION: 155.4.5493
bn.constants.WINDOWS_SHELL_EXT_VERSION: 52
bn.is_frozen: True
machine_id: 9d49b0b1-85ff-5df1-807e-749ad97d2969
pid: 1555
ppid: 1
uid: 501
user_info: pwd.struct_passwd(pw_name='margaretstanley', pw_passwd='********', pw_uid=501, pw_gid=20, pw_gecos='Margaret Stanley', pw_dir='/Users/margaretstanley', pw_shell='/bin/zsh')
effective_user_info: pwd.struct_passwd(pw_name='margaretstanley', pw_passwd='********', pw_uid=501, pw_gid=20, pw_gecos='Margaret Stanley', pw_dir='/Users/margaretstanley', pw_shell='/bin/zsh')
euid: 501
gid: 20
egid: 20
group_info: grp.struct_group(gr_name='staff', gr_passwd='*', gr_gid=20, gr_mem=['root', 'margaretstanley', '_avastsecurelinekillswitch', '_nsurlstoraged'])
effective_group_info: grp.struct_group(gr_name='staff', gr_passwd='*', gr_gid=20, gr_mem=['root', 'margaretstanley', '_avastsecurelinekillswitch', '_nsurlstoraged'])
DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH: None
cwd: '/'
     real_path='/'
            mode=0o40755 uid=0 gid=0
     parent mode=0o40755 uid=0 gid=0
HOME: '/Users/margaretstanley'
appdata: '/Users/margaretstanley/.dropbox/instance3'
         real_path='/Users/margaretstanley/.dropbox/instance3'
                mode=0o40700 uid=501 gid=20
         parent mode=0o40700 uid=501 gid=20
dropbox_path: '/Users/margaretstanley/Dropbox'
              real_path='/Users/margaretstanley/Dropbox'
              parent mode=0o40755 uid=501 gid=20
sys_executable: '/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/MacOS/Dropbox'
                real_path='/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/MacOS/Dropbox'
                      mode=0o100755 uid=501 gid=20
trace.__file__: '/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/Resources/python-packages.zip/dropbox/client/ui/common/boot_error.pyc'
                real_path='/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/Resources/python-packages.zip/dropbox/client/ui/common/boot_error.pyc'
                      not found
                parent not found
tempdir: '/var/folders/sv/f192phfx6hzgc9pq87glpfq40000gn/T'
         real_path='/private/var/folders/sv/f192phfx6hzgc9pq87glpfq40000gn/T'
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "dropbox/client/main.pyc", line 828, in wrapper
  File "dropbox/client/main.pyc", line 6646, in finish_dropbox_boot
  File "dropbox/client/message_queue.pyc", line 311, in _wrapped
  File "dropbox/client/main.pyc", line 6170, in _init_components_for_account
  File "dropbox/client/main.pyc", line 6094, in create_sync_engine
  File "dropbox/sync_engine_boundary/factory.pyc", line 225, in make_sync_engine
  File "dropbox/sync_engine/nucleus/classic_client/sync_engine.pyc", line 251, in __init__
  File "dropbox/sync_engine/nucleus/classic_client/modern_client/modern_client.pyc", line 261, in __init__
  File "dropbox/sync_engine/nucleus/classic_client/modern_client/base.pyc", line 259, in __init__
  File "dropbox/sync_engine/nucleus/classic_client/thin_adapter/in_proc.pyc", line 219, in __init__
  File "dropbox/sync_engine/nucleus/classic_client/thin_adapter/in_proc.pyc", line 531, in _init_new_engine_locked
  File "dropbox/sync_engine/nucleus/thin_client/client.pyc", line 139, in __init__
  File "desktop/extensions/nucleus/nucleus_python.pyx", line 76, in nucleus_python.NucleusSyncEngine.__cinit__
nucleus_python.SyncEngineError: "Initializing engine |>> Initializing filesystem |>> Marking Nucleus cache directory as ignored |>> Writing to xattr |>> fsetxattr syscall: write_xattr |>> Permission denied"

mandywr
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I am now completely confused. Some suggestions are to  move to a legacy  dropbox (what is that  and how do I do it, if appropriate) .When I try to login  to  dropbox or to drop box community  I go round  in circles and get nowhere. I am asked to prove that I am real and when I do this  by  clicking on the picture I an m told I have been suggessful and am returned to the same place where I am asked yet again to prove that I am real. I cannot see how to get out of the loop , so I give up.) I have managed (once) to login to my dropbox, but cannot repeat that action. I am totally baffled.

jparet
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I've noticed that opening online-only files don't work as expected in macOS versions before 12.3 as well.

So the product is now more broken than before.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

cbonargent Helpful | Level 7
    Martin R.19 Collaborator | Level 10
    gullevek Helpful | Level 5
    Pokapix Helpful | Level 6
What do Dropbox user levels mean?