cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Spotlight Search Doesn't Link to Files in Dropbox in macOS 13 Ventura

Spotlight Search Doesn't Link to Files in Dropbox in macOS 13 Ventura

dsnidey
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

After upgrading to macOS Ventura, I was prompted to upgrade to "Dropbox for macOS 12". I proceeded with that, it moved my Dropbox folder to ~/Library/CloudStorage and confirmed all was successful. Now when using Spotlight to search (I often type something like 'drawings folder' to open a folder called Drawings) the results in Spotlight show the Dropbox app icon beside the name of the item I want (rather than a Finder icon for folder or file). Hitting Enter or clicking on the result switches to Finder and does nothing, or sometimes will open the Applications folder and show the Dropbox app. It's not linking me to the actual file in ~/Library/CloudStorage. 

I have done the following and the problem is not solved:

• Restarted
  • Ensured all files are available for offline access
  • Rebuilt the spotlight index
  • Unlinked Dropbox from this Mac, did a complete clean install of dropbox, performed the upgrade to v159.4.5870 and synced just one folder to begin

Nothing works. Any suggestions??

398 Replies 398

minpi
Experienced | Level 11
Go to solution

I contacted Dropbox Team per Facebook and got quite quick respons. But it was a PM message, not some artical about this issue. Probably it would be a good idea to post something on their FB wall and to see if it will be deleted imediately. 

JoePL
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

According to my latest exchange with the Dropbox support team, this issue of Spotlight not indexing should be resolved in MacOS 13.3. We'll see. 

JoePL_0-1679655363265.jpeg

minpi
Experienced | Level 11
Go to solution

If you haven't already, upgrading should solve it? Does Ventura 13.3 is already available? I guess I use a latest one which is 13.2.1

JoePL
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

As far as I'm aware, MacOS 13.3 isn't available yet, which wasn't clear in the Dropbox support response. 

minpi
Experienced | Level 11
Go to solution

Yes, I checked it out. It seems it could be be available in 1-2 weeks. 

kohji
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

@JoePL wrote:

As far as I'm aware, MacOS 13.3 isn't available yet, which wasn't clear in the Dropbox support response. 

macOS 13.3 RC (Release Candidate) has been available for developers since Wednesday.

Here, it seems like the version fixes the issue that Spotlight won't index files and folders under ~/Library/CloudStorage/Dropbox/ .

JoePL
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

Yes, as I mentioned, the Dropbox support rep suggested 13.3 fixes the Spotlight issue. Curious to hear if you or anyone can confirm Spotlight + /Cloudstorage/ folder indexing is now working correctly? 

kohji
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

@JoePL wrote:

Yes, as I mentioned, the Dropbox support rep suggested 13.3 fixes the Spotlight issue. Curious to hear if you or anyone can confirm Spotlight + /Cloudstorage/ folder indexing is now working correctly? 

On 13.3 RC (22E252), I have confirmed it by the following steps:

• Making sure I have the newest Dropbox v170.4.5895, from "General" - "About Dropbox"
  • Making sure my Dropbox folder is located as ~/Library/CloudStorage/Dropbox, and ~/Dropbox is now a symbolic link to that
  • Making sure that there is no Finder window currently opening a folder under the Dropbox folder
  • Making sure the whole Spotlight index is deleted and rebuilt, by issuing the command sudo mdutil -E /

and I can say it perfectly operates with Spotlight + (new location version of ) Dropbox, just like it did in the pre-Ventura years.

I guess the 13.3 Final will be released within a week or two.

minpi
Experienced | Level 11
Go to solution

Could you confirm please that under 13.3 there is possible to lokate file or folder with control + click direkt from spotlight search? Thank you in advance

JoePL
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

@kohji, thanks for outlining your steps below . . . 

1. Making sure I have the newest Dropbox v170.4.5895, from "General" - "About Dropbox"
  2. Making sure my Dropbox folder is located as ~/Library/CloudStorage/Dropbox, and ~/Dropbox is now a symbolic link to that
  3. Making sure that there is no Finder window currently opening a folder under the Dropbox folder
  4. Making sure the whole Spotlight index is deleted and rebuilt, by issuing the command sudo mdutil -E /

On step 2, could you clarify how to make ~/Dropbox a symbolic link?

Need more support?