cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: The operation can’t be completed because “Folder name” needs to be downloaded.

The operation can’t be completed because “Folder name” needs to be downloaded.

Lui Hepworth
Helpful | Level 6

I am on Mac OS Monterey running dropbox basic. When I try to delete a folder I get the error message 'The operation can’t be completed because “Folder name” needs to be downloaded.' Also my sync icons are not showing at all. If I add or delete files they the changes sync. If I create a folder it also syncs - but I cannot delete it from Finder. I can delete it online and the change sync to Finder.
I have re-installed and also follow the advanced re-install https://help.dropbox.com/installs/advanced-reinstall
I have followed the dropbox not syncing https://help.dropbox.com/sync/files-not-syncing

and missing icons https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/View-download-and-export/Sync-icons-missing-in-the-Dropbox-folder-in...

I've been going round in circles with all the above - re-starting lots too. Any ideas what is going on? Thanks

15 Replies 15

Emmet
Community Manager

Hi @Lui Hepworth,

We’d like to check what’s going on here, would you mind if we reached out to the email associated with your community profile to look into this further?

Thank you!

Dropbox Community Team

Lui Hepworth
Helpful | Level 6

Hi @Emmet yes that's fine - thanks

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Lui Hepworth, I just sent you an email, I'll see you there! 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Lui Hepworth
Helpful | Level 6

Problem solved. I tried everything advised by dropbox support - unticking login items, making sure other back-up programs weren't affecting etc. These didn't work, so I unistalled dropbox (quit from menu bar avatar, dragged Dropbox to the recycle bin and did a clean up of residual items using CClean (free version), I also deleted the Dropbox folder located in the Cloudstorage folder (probably best to back-up before you do this) - to find where your dropbox flder is - right click it and choose show enclosing folder. I downloaded the latest Dropbox again and installed - during installation it said that it could not find the dropbox folder - I choose re-link. Now all the icons appear correctly (blue as syncing, green once synced) and I can delete folders within Finder - all my files are downloading/sycing from the online version, which will take a while, but everything seems to be working fine now.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Amazing news, that's what I like to hear -or read in our case- @Lui Hepworth.

Keep an eye on it, and let me know if you need anything else, we're always around! 😎

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Lui Hepworth
Helpful | Level 6

Just to add - my Dropbox folder is now located in Users > username > Dropbox (not in cloudstorage anymore)

Need more support?