cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to download desktop app

Unable to download desktop app

mk9y
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

macOS Ventura 13.0

I had trouble syncing, so I deleted the app and the DB folder.

Now I can't download the desktop app. On Safari I go to https://www.dropbox.com/downloading the download doesn't start, even when I click on restart the download. On Firefox I have multiple failed attempts to download Dropboxinstaller.dmg

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

mk9y
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I'm running a MacPro (2019) with Ventura 13.0.1 (22A400).

I now understand much more. Dropbox offered me the option of backing up my Desktop, Downloads, and Documents folders. I had accepted this option. In trying to fix a sync problem, I deleted Dropbox with the intention of reinstalling. That left the three folders as aliases pointing to an unknown location. This is why I couldn't download. That's a relatively minor difficulty: you tell Safari to use a different folder for downloads.

I solved the problem by creating a new user, installing Dropbox and not taking the options mentioned earlier. I think sync is now working. Time will tell.

Dropbox cost me days of work, and I'm angry.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @mk9y, sorry to hear about this.

Could you try the offline installer from this page and let me know how it goes?

If the issue persists, you may need to clear your browser's cache or try an incognito window. 

Keep me posted anyhow!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

mk9y
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Problem persists when I try the offline installer on Safari before or after clearing caches, or using a Private window

mk9y
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

The problem is much bigger. I just got off the phone with Apple. It turns out that this is an issue known to Apple. Apparently Dropbox Computer Backup has locked the Desktop, Downloads, and Dropbox folders. I see locked aliases, and can't tell where they're pointing. Presumably I can't download the current version of DB because the Downloads folder is not available.

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @mk9y, can you let me know your app's syncing status while we speak?

When you visit your Events page, do you see any deletions happening there?

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

mk9y
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I'm running a MacPro (2019) with Ventura 13.0.1 (22A400).

I now understand much more. Dropbox offered me the option of backing up my Desktop, Downloads, and Documents folders. I had accepted this option. In trying to fix a sync problem, I deleted Dropbox with the intention of reinstalling. That left the three folders as aliases pointing to an unknown location. This is why I couldn't download. That's a relatively minor difficulty: you tell Safari to use a different folder for downloads.

I solved the problem by creating a new user, installing Dropbox and not taking the options mentioned earlier. I think sync is now working. Time will tell.

Dropbox cost me days of work, and I'm angry.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

mk9y Helpful | Level 6
    Megan Dropbox Staff
    Walter Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?