cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very Very slow performance in Windows explorer.

Very Very slow performance in Windows explorer.

Andrew Smith
Explorer | Level 3

Windows 11 Pro

Dropbox V 173.4.6706

using windows explorer i have extremely lagging performance of my synced folders... all folders are synced and have a green check mark as if the files are local.  every single synced folder takes up to 1 minute to access.  I can usually go online and download the file i want quicker than accessing through windows explorer.  This has made using dropbox very very unstable and almost unusable for me as a storage or access to shared resources within our company. 

I have un installed... re -installed deleted the entire folder.  I am at my whits end with this. I have even tried the deleting the registry entries according to the dropbox advanced re-installation instructions.

anyone else out there with this issue?  In years past this was never an issue and not all computers at our office suffer this problem.  I've even went as far as to delete/un-install all other software that has been installed since the problem started.

9 Replies 9

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Andrew Smith, welcome to our Community! 

In regards to the behavior of the files on the device, and how slow they behave: may I ask, approximately how many files are you syncing via the desktop app? 

Is it more than our soft limit of 300K files? Can you perhaps use selective sync for folders you don't need locally on your computer to lessen its load to see if this improves matters?

Alternatively, if you're using a paid plan, you can make some files online-only. 

Keep me posted! 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Andrew Smith
Explorer | Level 3

currently 144,267 files are being synced... and 252GB worth of data... now i am using selective sync for the rest of our data usage.  we have a paid plan.  I have tried to limit the amount of synced files and no change happens... if i un-install dropbox it will whizz through the file structures with no problem but i can't access them due to being locked out.

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hey Andrew, and sorry for jumping in here.

Have you noticed this behavior with any other folders on your File Explorer, or just the Dropbox one? If you attempt to quit the Dropbox app temporarily, and then access the files within your local Dropbox folder, do you see any difference at all? 

Finally, can you please clarify how much available space you have on your device at the moment?

Thanks!

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

Andrew Smith
Explorer | Level 3

i have a 1TB solid state drive, 500GB free space... no other files or folders on my PC take anytime at all to open.  accessing files through dropbox folder takes over 1 minute to open... I have noticed something very strange though... if i right click the file to open and select a program to open the file it will open as normal... I tested this with pictures as well as PDF files.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Andrew Smith , could you try temporarily closing third party apps, including security software and antivirus, that could be hindering the way the app works? Maybe that will do the trick.

This might also tie into high CPU/RAM usage, so I’d recommend looking over this article as well to see if any of the steps there help.

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Andrew Smith
Explorer | Level 3

144k files

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Andrew Smith  , can you try to open a ticket with our Support team about this?

If you have any issues doing that, let me know and I'll do it on my end for you. 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Andrew Smith
Explorer | Level 3

please open support ticket for me

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Andrew Smith  , I just sent you an email, I'll see you there!

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    Andrew Smith Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?