cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where is the new Library subfolder in MacOS that Dropbox switched to?

Where is the new Library subfolder in MacOS that Dropbox switched to?

Kronisk
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

So I updated as urged by Dropbox, and now the link to the folder that automatically syncs to the server is gone from my Finder windows. Which is a problem when you consider that I cannot find the folder at all. Am I missing something?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

@Kronisk wrote:

... The one clue I have is that due to security or OS changes, the Dropbox required folder is now somewhere in the hidden Library folder, the location of doom for users who are not confident.

Hi @Kronisk,

Yes, you are correct; the new (now mandatory) Dropbox folder location is ~/Library/CloudStorage/Dropbox, previous default location was ~/Dropbox. 😉

Hope this clarifies matter.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Kronisk, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Are you referring to the Dropbox folder being visible in the CloudStorage location on the Mac?

If you're not seeing it there while the Dropbox desktop application is running, could you attach a screenshot in order to view it on our end?

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Kronisk
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hello,

I am trying to determine where the new location that I have to put files into to sync with the Dropbox is. Prior to this update, I would just put the file in a location within my user home folder called Dropbox and the app would sync the files from there. I admittedly clicked past the text in the app describing the change just a little too quickly, but it did mention something about that folder now being in a new location. I am not a power user by any means, so locating that folder myself has proven fruitless. I do not even know what you mean by CloudStorage location. The one clue I have is that due to security or OS changes, the Dropbox required folder is now somewhere in the hidden Library folder, the location of doom for users who are not confident.

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

@Kronisk wrote:

... The one clue I have is that due to security or OS changes, the Dropbox required folder is now somewhere in the hidden Library folder, the location of doom for users who are not confident.

Hi @Kronisk,

Yes, you are correct; the new (now mandatory) Dropbox folder location is ~/Library/CloudStorage/Dropbox, previous default location was ~/Dropbox. 😉

Hope this clarifies matter.

Kronisk
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thank you! It was exactly where you said it would be. 🙂 It seems so simple when you know, too.

artk2
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

On my Mac, it looks like the installer automatically added a symbolic link, so that the previous location ~/Dropbox points to the new ~/Library/CloudStorage/Dropbox folder. So even if you tried going to the old location, it should act almost exactly the same.

Tilbert
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I am trying to access my dropbox location in the photo app ACDSee.  The problem is ACDSee won't show or expand an alias in their folder tree.  I tried creating a symbolic link to the dropbox CloudStorage location but the symbolic link won't expand either.

Any ideas?  How do I view my dropbox location in ACDSee?

fcorm
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I apologize if this can seem off-topic, but I no longer see the green check icon attached to files and folders telling me whether that particular object is synced or not. This happens since the new default Dropbox location moved to ~/Library/CloudStorage/Dropbox.

Is that normal or I am missing something?

Thanks

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

fcorm Explorer | Level 4
    Tilbert New member | Level 2
    artk2 Explorer | Level 4
    Kronisk Explorer | Level 4
    Здравко Legendary | Level 20
What do Dropbox user levels mean?