cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Event ID 320 occurring regularly, Windows 10, with DropBox 118.4.460

CertFindCertificateInStore failed with: (-2146885628) Cannot find object or property.

keithfkelly
Helpful | Level 6

As  multiple other users have already reported over the last couple years, I am seeing many of these error events in my Windows 10 Event Viewer, all coming from the DbxSvc (Dropbox service) event source.

Can you all please fix your desktop client software to stop spamming my event logs with these errors?  This issue has dragged on far, far too long already.  Either stop emitting these errors, or fix the underlying problem.

Thank you.

75 Replies 75

td47
Helpful | Level 6

Even with the latest public version 118.4.460, I see regular Event ID 320 in the event log. Here is a typical one:

"Log Name: Application

Source: DbxSvc
Date: 19/03/2021 17:21:23
Event ID: 320
Task Category: (3)
Level: Information
Keywords: Classic
Computer: T*********

Description: Failed to connect to the driver: (-2147024894) The system cannot find the file specified. , retrying... "

There are NO sync issues in my account, and NO missing files, so I see this as a DRIVER FILE internal to the DbxSVC service API functionality, and NOT related to an actual file "sync" - despite the confusing error message.  Of course, you may have more info/tools on this at your disposal, so if there is any more information that I get for you to look into this further, please let me know.

Jay
Dropbox Staff
There are some apps that prevent the Dropbox desktop application from updating as it might affect their own program, or security restrictions. The auto-updater is blocked from updating for these reasons.

Regarding the events you're seeing, we appreciate the feedback on this matter and for bringing it to our attention. 

If any other issues occur please let me know.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

td47
Helpful | Level 6

@JayMy auto-updater is NOT blocked, as I see regular updates. As regards the event id 320 errors, I found an old post on this, dating back to 2017, where this is "by design"!!! Apparrently it is to do with the "Smart Sync Driver", that only business users and some premium users might have. So they designed the DbxSvc.exe to call the driver, and if no response, then they know it is not loaded, and therefore not in use.

DB developers were saying then (in 2017) that it is "by design" and that they do not intend to fix it.

Surely there is a better/smarter way to tell if the driver is active or loaded or not, rather then use a basic (seemingly crude) method that is currently coded, that triggers an error event in Windows. I would rather NOT have an event error in MY event log, that adds to the clutter already there, if it can be avoided! After all, the DriverView utility by Nir Sofer has been doing this since 2003!

Can anyone ask DB Devs if they intend to make their code Smarter, to match the Smart Sync driver, 4 years down the line??

Mmundell
New member | Level 2

Hi Jay,

I am having the same problem and I've tried to update the app but I still have the same error at the event log.

"CertFindCertificateInStore failed with: (-2146885628) Cannot find object or property"

I didn't uninstall the app following the instructions just update the app, the current version is 120.4.4598

I appreciate your help.

Tks,

DemianLucis
Helpful | Level 5

Same here. 

Have this for langer time now and would like to get rid of it. 

I have had uninstalled it, re-installed it, and now just as suggested installed without uninstalling. Twice. Error still occurs.

Homegrown Phenom
Helpful | Level 6

I'm on a Plus account and what you recommended still doesn't work.  I have it installed on 2 devices and did a clean reinstall on both including clearing out leftover user/appdata folders and registry items to no avail. 

I uninstalled it on 1 of my devices fully and now only have it installed on my desktop and still getting this issue.  

Extremely annoying and frustrating.

Stefan K.30
Explorer | Level 4

Still gettting these errors

CertFindCertificateInStore failed with: (-2146885628) Cannot find object or property.

Installed dropbox latest installer (v 1.3.503.1)

Another pc in the same house built on a ryzen chipset has no trouble.

classic mesa
New member | Level 2

This is absolutely maddening.

The "this link" referenced below leads to a page to either Open Dropbox to Get Started or Remind Me Later - both lead to my dropbox on the web. Although, I get prompted to Open Dropbox on my computer, but when I click that, it doesn't open the desktop app, it opens the gdamn file explorer!

If I click on my profile icon and click to Install Dropbox App, it takes me to the same **bleep** page.

This experience is like being stuck in groundhog's day. Support docs for dropbox are all over the place, totally disorganized and circular.

This is on Win 10. DB v 138.4.2392. My DB tray icon has a red X, doesn't seem to be syncing, and I'm getting regualr dbxsvc 281 errors.

Is it possible to still install DB over itself while still running?

Hugues H.
Explorer | Level 4

I followed all the steps in the advanced reinstallation.

The problem persists.  I see about 4 errors every hour from DbxSvc in the Windows 10 event log.

General Stix
Explorer | Level 4

Same issue here - also on a plus account - reinstalled windows from scratch - still getting the error - where is support?

Need more support?