cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Workaround to use Windows shortcuts on iOS?

Workaround to use Windows shortcuts on iOS?

TomMunch
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Is there a way to get DropBox on iOS to follow Windows shortcut links to another DropBox file in another folder on DropBox?  

I am a musician and have a very large number of Word song files in one master folder that I use a number of shortcuts in other folders to access.  This way I don't have multiple copies of a song file which would make editing a mess.  These other folders are basically for categories like genre and artist or types like summer songs, western songs, songs of the '60's etc.  I normally use these on a Windows laptop or desktop which works very well, but when I am on my iPhone or iPad I cannot follow these shortcut links.  

I've thought of trying to set up a Workflow or IFTTT solution, but I haven't figured that out yet.  

I've also contacted DropBox with a request for an up date to DropBox for iOS to allow following shortcut links to other files in DropBox, but I haven't had a response.

Does anyone know of a clever workaround or way to accomplish what I'm after?

Thanks in advance for your help!

10 Replies 10

TomMunch
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Thank you, Maple. Having shortcut support would really help me. I hope the engineers will consider this. 

The URL thing is what I was thinking for a workaround. I was also thinking that I could create a macro-type workaround that would search the Dropbox folder for the file based on the .lnk file. 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

TomMunch Helpful | Level 5
    Maple Dropbox Staff
    Mark Super User II
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?