cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 Different Photo Sizes in Camera Uploads

2 Different Photo Sizes in Camera Uploads

HealthFreak
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
Why do I always get 2 different sizes of the same photo in Dropbox camera uploads, eg. 
2022-10-07 13.37.54-1.heic and
2022-10-07 13.37.54-2.heic
I have one photo showing in my iOS Photos app but 2 different file sizes with the same name ending -1 and -2 are always uploaded to Dropbox camera uploads. 
Why is this? And how can I stop this happening?
Thanks
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

The photos would be imported twice, because they are separate instances of the camera upload feature. The mobile version doesn't know what files the desktop version has uploaded, and vice versa, so only one should be enabled at any time.

If the Mac uploads are showing more of the image somehow, then it must be related to how the image is stored on the phone, since your iOS Photos app isn't showing the full image either (before the images go onto Dropbox). 

The correct size would be up to you, though they should be both the same size, unless there is some other file manipulation going on the background when the photo is taken on iOS.

As for me, I am a Dropboxer who helps to moderate and respond to users on the forum.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

16 Replies 16

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @HealthFreak, thanks for posting to our Community.

If you see different sizes on the photos, it means that the original photo was probably modified by a third party app, which added metadata to the photo.

The Dropbox app doesn't actually modify your files. We just scan your camera roll for any changes and automatically upload them to Dropbox.

I'd suggest you try to identify which app is doing this and stop the process, to prevent duplicate uploads in the future.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

HealthFreak
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi @Hannah 

Thanks for your reply. I don't have any other apps open or that modify or add metadata to my photos.

I take a photo on my iPhone, only one photo shows in my camera roll, but even if I immediately connect my phone to my laptop and the photo is uploaded to Dropbox Camera Uploads, 2 different sizes of the same photo appear with -1 and -2 name endings.

Please resolve this issue so this doesn't occur in future.

Thank you

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @HealthFreak, are you adding any filters or changes in the camera app, even modifying the file to be in portrait mode?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

HealthFreak
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi @Jay no I'm not touching the photos at all, no filters, no modifications, no edits, no third-party apps, nothing at all before connecting to Dropbox Camera Uploads.. Please let me know why this is happening and how to stop it in future.. 

Thanks

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Just for clarification, are these two photos created at the moment the photo was created, or is the second photo created when uploaded to Dropbox?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

HealthFreak
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

@Jay there is always only one photo created at the moment the photo was taken - and only one photo showing at all times in iOS Photos app and iOS Dropbox app.

The two different size photos are created only when my phone is connected to my Mac (or over Wifi) and the photo is uploaded to the Dropbox Camera Uploads folder on my Mac - and the two different size photos only show in the Dropbox Camera Uploads folder on my Mac.

I don't have any other photos apps open on my Mac, and neither is the Mac Photos app open even.

Again nothing was done to interfere with or change the photos in any way before or after upload.

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Okay, so just for clarification, you've enabled camera uploads on your Dropbox mobile app, and also separately on the Dropbox desktop application, is that correct?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

HealthFreak
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

@Jay Yes - "Upload from Camera Roll" is enabled on my iOS app in Camera Uploads and "Enable camera uploads for Photos and videos" is enabled in my Mac desktop app. preferences

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

This would be why you're getting duplicate images, since both the features are separate and don't 'sync' with each other saying which images are uploaded. 

I'd recommend only having one of them enabled to prevent this issue in the future.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropbox Staff
    HealthFreak Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?