cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Share your feedback on the Document Scanning Experience in the Dropbox App right here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accidentally synced all my computer files to Dropbox

Accidentally synced all my computer files to Dropbox

Moritz K
Explorer | Level 3

Please HELP me...

Im new to dropbox and have accidentally upload (synced) all my datas. Now my porgramms cant find the path of the folders. Is there a posibility to get my Data back on my PC?

21 Replies 21

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Hey @Moritz K, thanks for joining us on the Dropbox Community.

It seems you have enabled our computer backup feature on your Dropbox application. 

You can disable it and move your files back to their original locations, by following the steps here.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

kfast
Explorer | Level 3

Hi -- I've used Dropbox before and never had issues with it basically grabbing folders on my computer.  I want to use the free version to upload and download small files for a project, but when I logged onto it recently to use it (I've used it in the past, but not within the last 18 months or so), it is syncing my whole PC.  Of course, this is creating a huge problem, because it is telling me my dropbox is full and I have to upgrade to continue to use it.  I've researched a little bit and found that I am supposed to be able to right click on the Dropbox icon on my icon tray at the botttom of my screen, and perform a selective sync.  When I do this and deselect the PC folder, it will not stay, even after clicking Apply and OK.  It goes right back to syncing my entire PC.  Now, I'm terrified, because I've seen where people have lost all of their files when they tried to disengage from using Dropbox.  So, my questions are:

1) How can I get it to stop syncing my entire PC, so I can complete my project without upgrading?

2) What are the steps to get rid of Dropbox when my project is over, without wiping out my PC?

Thank you.  

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Hi @kfast, let's see what we can do here! 

It seems you're talking about our computer backup feature. 

The steps to disable it can be found right here

Once you do so, your files and folders should be able to be moved back to their original paths once you do so. 

If you want to uninstall the app in the future, you should be able to achieve that. 

Let me know if you have any questions.

Megan
dropbox.com/support

kfast
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks.  That didn't work.  Still syncing my PC.  Still can't upload anything.  

kfast
Explorer | Level 3

And, the folders that are showing synced now, which are two, are empty, so there's no way I can have too much on Dropbox.

kfast
Explorer | Level 3

It does look to have stopped syncing the PC, though, now.  It still shows the folder, but it is no longer checked.

Megan
Dropbox Staff
It sounds like you've disabled the feature, @kfast.

If so, did you choose to "Keep content in folders on this Mac/PC" or "Leave content in Dropbox"? 

You should be able to move the files out of your Dropbox folder elsewhere on your machine.

This will delete them from the site, but stay on your computer.

Megan
dropbox.com/support

kfast
Explorer | Level 3

I chose the keep content on my PC option.  When I pull up the app, it is still listing my PC on the Dropbox listing, though.  I don't think it is syncing it anymore, because the checkmark isn't in the box where you can choose selective syncing.  I think I need to delete the PC folder in the app to continue the use I am intending.  I am pretty sure that folder makes me over the limit for free use, but I am really afraid to do that because of what has happened to other people with it wiping out their files.  I've spent so much time on this, when all I wanted to do was use it to share some files.  😞   It should automatically remove that when someone chooses to not sync it.  It is like it tries to trick you and make you stuck so you have to upgrade.  😞

Carol G.1
Explorer | Level 3

Dropbox 2023-08-30 19-00-01.jpg

If this isn't the right category. please repost where it should go. Recently, whenever I trashed something from my desktop, I got the same message as when you remove something from the Dropbox folder. I put it down to a glitch somewhere. But today I wanted to looki for something in a file folder in the desktop Dropbox. It wasn't there. Neither were a lot of other files and folders, too. I went to my online Dropbox and whole folders are missing there, too, most of them vital.  I  came to the community and found an answer about something similar.  It said to look in the top folder and look for a folder named "mac" . I found it, opened it and  found: the Mac folders for Documents, Downloads and Desktop with all the files in them! HOW DO I GET THEM BACK OUT OF DROPBOX???!!!!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropbox Staff
    Carol G.1 Explorer | Level 3
    Nancy Dropbox Staff
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?