cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Are people notified when they are removed from sharing a folder?

Are people notified when they are removed from sharing a folder?

Joe D.30
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I have a folder that I shared over the years that I would like to UNshare, but don't want the other person to know, or, at the very least, be sent an email informing them they are no longer authorized to access the shared Dropbox folder. Case in point, I have a folder I created for a client where the two partners both had access but now one has been bought out in the aftermath of a big hairy battle. I really need to remove the former partner. My question is, Will persons I "unshare" with be notified by email or pop-up notification that they are no longer linked to a folder, or does Dropbox simply make that space available to their quota and nothing is ever said?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Dave C.5
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

LOL, i just read your post again, Here is what you should do.
1) make a new folder in dropbox, share it with who you want in only.
2) Copy the old folder content into the new folder and confirm all members have the files, (do this after the share is setup and accepted)
3) via the web interface delete the old shared folder. (this does not exit you from the share, you just are not getting it)
4) have other members perform step 3 also.
As you are all still members of the old share, the one guy cant see anything has happened at all, while the rest of you have all stopped getting the folder, and are using a new shared folder.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Will persons I "unshare" with be notified by email or pop-up notification that they are no longer linked to a folder

Pop up. Yes. Email no.

The pop up only appears online for a few seconds, however, so they MAY miss it.

Note that there is no way to guarantee you'll remove the data from there machine.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Dave C.5
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

I think the DB app notifications area holds the message as well. (what the popup said)

Dave C.5
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

LOL, i just read your post again, Here is what you should do.
1) make a new folder in dropbox, share it with who you want in only.
2) Copy the old folder content into the new folder and confirm all members have the files, (do this after the share is setup and accepted)
3) via the web interface delete the old shared folder. (this does not exit you from the share, you just are not getting it)
4) have other members perform step 3 also.
As you are all still members of the old share, the one guy cant see anything has happened at all, while the rest of you have all stopped getting the folder, and are using a new shared folder.

Joe D.30
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Excellent work around. Thanks for the suggestion. Fixes my problem beautifully.

DaveC2
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

The evil we do 😛

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Dropbox Community here.]

Need more support?