cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Can't seem to properly share a folder of photos

Can't seem to properly share a folder of photos

wa4ywm
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I am new to Dropbox and am having problems with folder sharing.

I have read the Dropbox help on sharing and I have looked at several questions in the forum. They all seem to say the same thing which I tried repeatedly. (The definition of insanity - trying the same thing over and over expecting a different result).

I have created a folder and uploaded photos to it. I have shared the folder with an invitation set as "can view". The person I shared with can see the folders but can also edit them (e.g. Delete and rename are available). Why do they have the ability to edit when I specified "can view"?

Also, when I hover over the icon to the right of the "Share" dropdown it says the user "..hasn't added to their dropbox yet" and the icon is grayed out. Why do they need to create a dropbox if all I want to do is share the folder? And why would they need to add anything to a dropbox? I want this to be as simple to use as possible.

Thinking that maybe sharing with an invitation is overkill I wondered if I could share just by sending them a link. However when they attempt to link to the folder they are told they do not have access.

What am I doing wrong? I feel like I'm beating my head against a wall.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

wa4ywm
Helpful | Level 6

@Megan and @Hannah

Thank you for your direct comments and answers. I realize that I was trying to do something that cannot be done with my account - restrict access with a link.

Thus, I am going to have my users create accounts so that I can restrict access.

Thanks again.

View solution in original post

19 Replies 19

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

@wa4ywm wrote:

Also, when I hover over the icon to the right of the "Share" dropdown it says the user "..hasn't added to their dropbox yet" and the icon is grayed out. Why do they need to create a dropbox if all I want to do is share the folder? And why would they need to add anything to a dropbox? I want this to be as simple to use as possible.

Thinking that maybe sharing with an invitation is overkill I wondered if I could share just by sending them a link. ...

Hi @wa4ywm,

😀 I suspect you count 2 different things as a single thing. There are different ways to share something. One of them, of course, is to share a link to whatever you want to share (file or folder). Another one (and something definitely different) is to share the file or folder between accounts, that will let syncing between accounts without any user interaction. When you share using link, the person can have or not an account (it's optional), but when you share the file or the folder themself then receiver must have account (the share comes up between accounts). According your description, you may have shared using both ways together. 🙂😉 Decide what you want and remove the other thing.

Good luck.

wa4ywm
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I had posted a similar item earlier. I had one response which didn't answer my questions.

The subject line says it all. I am sharing a folder of photos with Can View selected. However, the recipient can edit the folder. Why????

The recipient receives an email with an Add Dropbox selection. Why would they need to add a Dropbox if I all I want to do is have them share a folder? This complicates the situation.

Am I completely misunderstanding something? I seem to be doing everything detailed in the instructions.

HELP!!

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @wa4ywm , thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Just for clarification are you sharing a link to a folder, or are you sharing a folder directly to their account?

This will help me to assist further!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

wa4ywm
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I have tried 2 different things.

One: I click on the Share dropdown. The box that is displayed says "Share this Folder, Only people invited Can view". I enter their email and click on "Share folder". They receive an email with an "Add Dropbox" selection. When they click on this they are taken to the folder and can edit.

Two: I have sent a link in an ordinary email. This link takes them to the folder which they can edit.

Note: My settings under "Link for Viewing", "Who has access" is "Only people invited".

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @wa4ywm, sorry to jump in, but can you confirm that you're using these steps to share the link to the folder you mentioned?

If you have already added them to the folder as a member, you can remove their access as outlined here

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

wa4ywm
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I am going to ask a question in what I hope is a direct manner so that I can get a direct answer.

I wish to be able to send a link to a folder to be used only by people I invite. How can I provide them access without going through the Share Folder process?

So far the only way this seems to work is if the person creates an account when presented with the Add Dropbox icon in the email sent to them when I click Share Folder in the Share this Folder dialog. I would like to avoid having them create a account - this just complicates everything.

This has turned into a VERY frustrating experience.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @wa4ywm, what you need to do is share a link to the folder.

You need to keep in mind though, that the link will need to be a "can view" one specifically.

So far, I understand that you're sending a "can edit" one instead, so you'll need to follow these steps.

That way, your recipients won't need to add the folder to their account. They won't even need an account to access the folder.

I hope this helps!

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

wa4ywm
Helpful | Level 6

Hannah,

I have been following the steps you refer to. I send the link to a person. The person is listed under "Who can access" in the "Share this folder" dialog.

When the person clicks on the link in their email, Dropbox displays a screen saying "You don't have access". ???

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hi from me as well, @wa4ywm!

Can you send us a full screenshot of what they see on their end? 

From what you describe, it’s possible that they’re trying to access a shared folder instead of a shared link (which are two different things).

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?