cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you interested in hearing how one of our Community members uses Dropbox for sailing trips? Read all about it here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client changed Dropbox link into a shared folder

Client changed Dropbox link into a shared folder

Ronb988
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi, I recently shared a Dropbox link with a client. I noticed the next day the folder had become a shared folder with the client as member who can edit. I didn’t change the folder type or add the client as a member who can edit nor did I receive any notification. Is this normal. I am still the owner of the folder.

Kind regards

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Ronb988 wrote:
I have clicked on the link, it opens a page which shows all my shared links, what do I click on to edit the setting ...

The option to change the default for shared links is actually on this page. Make sure Who has access is set to Anyone with link, and is set to Can view.

Also why is set to edit in the first place, I don’t want to repeat this process each time I share a link

Dropbox changed the default for shared links from view to edit quite a while ago. Make the change above and you won't have an issue anymore.

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Ronb988 wrote:
Hi, I recently shared a Dropbox link with a client. I noticed the next day the folder had become a shared folder with the client as member who can edit.

That's simply not possible. A shared link can not change or be changed to a shared folder. They are two separate forms of sharing.

Ronb988
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution
Hi, I’ve just checked the original link I sent to the client, when I click the link it takes me to the web browser and there is a blue button labelled join folder. I normally right click and select copy Dropbox link from my pc desktop I’m sure I did the same action for this link

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

HI @Ronb988, did you create a shared link with edit permissions, or with view permissions?

If you share a link with edit permissions, it creates a shared folder that they can add and edit on their account.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Ronb988
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi, I right click on the folder in windows 10 and select copy Dropbox link, then I paste the link in a browser (signed out of Dropbox) on any link I create from windows desktop there is a blue join folder button in the link when I open it, for example here is a folder I just created and I added a notepad file inside, when you open the link you can see the join button on the windows created link but you can’t see it in the iPhone app created linked 

Link created from windows 10 Dropbox folder (join folder button shown) 

[Removed as per Community Guidelines]

Link created from the iPhone Dropbox app (no join folder button) 

[Removed as per Community Guidelines]

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Did you check to see if you created a shared link with edit access on the Dropbox desktop application, or on the mobile app?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Ronb988
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution
Hi, how do you create a shared link with edit access

Thanks

Ronb988
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution
In my previous post I didn’t use the share drop-down menu button I used the copy Dropbox link button

If I click on the share button I can enter email address and send to people who can edit but I didn’t use this approach, to create any links

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

It's possible that, by default, when you're creating a shared link, it creates one with edit access. Try checking the shared link on this page to see what it is set as.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Ronb988
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution
That’s good but how do I fix it?
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Ronb988 Explorer | Level 3
    Rich Super User II
    Jay Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?