cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Deleting Drop Box from CloudStorage Location (M1 Beta)

Deleting Drop Box from CloudStorage Location (M1 Beta)

Nikita_
New member | Level 2

After upgrading to new Beta to dropbox for M1, syncing stopped working and finder window start freezing while searching dropbox files. 
So I decided to delete Dropbox, but cannot delete this Folder (/Users/Username/Library/CloudStorage/Dropbox/) that got created with new Dropbox Beta version, after Unistalling the Dropbox app.

Untitled1234.jpg

6 Replies 6

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Hi there, @Nikita_! I hope you're doing well! 

Out of curiosity, have you tried rebooting your device first?

One more thing is, if you press the [command] [delete] keyboard keys at the same time, what do you see? 

Let me know more. 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Michael B.10
Experienced | Level 13

@Megan 

You don't seem to know about this change:

Dropbox location change to ~/Library/CloudStorage/Dropbox 

Tim T.13
Collaborator | Level 9

This question is more complicated that it appeared at first. Just tried to delete the ~/Library/CloudStorage/Dropbox folder. Hitting CMD-DELETE or using the menu when trying to delete the folder itself results in a "bonk" for blocked operation.

I was able to delete the parent CloudStorage folder, since only Dropbox was inside anyway. However, I cannot empty the trash with "in use" warnings. Have deleted the Dropbox app itself, and rebooted the Mac, with no change in behavior. The trash still won't empty (although the app itself emptied out just fine.)

The Dropbox folder shows as zero bytes in the Trash folder, but really hoping I don't get stuck with these empty folders appearing in the trash forever. Must be some way to release the "in use" feeling of the files.

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Tim T.13, I’m sorry to hear that. 

If you check your Applications folder, has Dropbox been removed from there? I'd like to make sure that the uninstall has been completed successfully.

Also, can you please open the 'Activity Monitor' utility on your computer, as an extra step? Do you see any other processes associated with Dropbox there?

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Tim T.13
Collaborator | Level 9

No signs of any Dropbox processes, and yes, the .app had been deleted from ~/Applications.

Some extended attribute (or similar) is set on the ./CloudStorage/Dropbox folder that causes an issue. I literally copied the file to an external boot HD to get it out of my Trash. Even then I couldn't delete the file, but at least I could get the file off my main machine (and clean out the trash.) Now it is stuck on that external drive forever, ha.

Would be great if Dropbox included some sort of "uninstall" tool that completely removed itself.

beatbox45321
New member | Level 2

I had the same problem but was able to solve it using the command line. If you are brave and have already removed DB, you can open a terminal. Then go to ~/Library/CloudStorage. then use the following command:

sudo rm -fr ./Dropbox

It will ask for your password and if your account is an admin account it will delete the folder. Basically this command tells the computer to delete the folder as the super user ("root" user).

I tried many other ways, and this is the only way I could get the folder removed.

Need more support?