cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox Files Disappeared from Computer

Dropbox Files Disappeared from Computer

rondachristie
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

So I have had Dropbox linked to my computer (Windows - HP Envy with 500 GB hard drive) for quite a while. I recently tried to download a game to my computer, and it told me I was out of space - which is when I realized that my Dropbox files were taking up a little over half my hard drive. I turned on Selective Sync and Smart Sync for all of my files, so that they would be online-only. 

I can see on my Dropbox app that it says there are still some files syncing. It has been saying that for 2 days. My system storage no longer says that Dropbox is taking up half my hard drive - so that's good! However, when I try to look at my Dropbox files/folders on my computer's File Explorer, only a few of my Dropbox folders are showing up (with the blue arrows symbol on them). 

All of my files are still there on Dropbox.com, but I cannot access them on my computer any longer. My understanding was that Smart Sync and Selective Sync were just supposed to make all my files online-only, which would give them the grey cloud symbol on my computer's File Explorer, but still allow me to access them whenever I am connected to internet. 

Is there any way I can have my files be online-only, but still linked to my computer and accessible from my File Explorer? I just want to be able to open things from my file explorer to my own apps rather than having to open the Dropbox website and just preview every time, and also be able to save things like word docs straight to Dropbox when I click "Save As" and "Browse". 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Hi @rondachristie 

You seem a tad confused.... Selective Sync removes the directories completely from the machine where as smart sync leaves the on the machine but with 0 bytes used. They cannot be combined - a file/directory is EITHER Smart Sync'd or Selective Sync'd. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Hi @rondachristie 

You seem a tad confused.... Selective Sync removes the directories completely from the machine where as smart sync leaves the on the machine but with 0 bytes used. They cannot be combined - a file/directory is EITHER Smart Sync'd or Selective Sync'd. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Janet B.5
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

i HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM. This answer explains WHY but it doesnt tell us what to do to get these files available. Download doesn't work if the file are too big. The files are not visible on computer dropbox so I cannot change the type of sync. Online I can find nothing that tells me how to designate that I want these file to change to smart sync. So in essence the files are no longer available to me if I don't have good internet. Working on line is not a helpful option. So I don't know how to get my files all on smart sync.

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Hi @Janet B.5 

Unfortunately if you have no space to initially sync you are quite possibly stuck - they need to be local first before they can become smart sync'd

Janet B.5
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Sorry I guess I was not clear. I want to change these files from Selective Sync to Smart Sync so I can see them on my computer even tho stored in the cloud but I don't know how to do that.

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Janet B.5, if you was to switch from selective sync to Smart Sync, all you need to do is enable syncing for those folders in the selective sync window.

The desktop app will automatically mark them as online-only files, so they won't take up any space on your machine.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropbox Staff
    Janet B.5 Explorer | Level 3
    Mark Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?