cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Share your feedback on the Document Scanning Experience in the Dropbox App right here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox can't sync on Pop!_OS Linux 22.04; stuck on "Connecting..."

Dropbox can't sync on Pop!_OS Linux 22.04; stuck on "Connecting..."

johnpeach
Explorer | Level 3

Hi, I have Dropbox version 2020.03.04 installed on Pop!_OS Linux 22.04 LTS, which historically has worked, but is no longer able to connect to the Dropbox API, so it can't sync my files.

Clicking the Dropbox icon in the topbar shows its normal menu, but its status reports as "Connecting..." Also, my files won't sync.

7 Replies 7

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @johnpeach, welcome to the Dropbox Community.

Can you let me know if you can access our website as normal, or are you having an issue with that too?

Also, is it possible that you have some kind of security app installed on your computer that could be blocking Dropbox from working properly?

If you do, try disabling that temporarily, or whitelist Dropbox on it, to see if that helps.

Let me know what you find!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

johnpeach
Explorer | Level 3

Can I access dropbox.com as normal - yep, no issues there.

johnpeach
Explorer | Level 3

I deleted `~/.dropbox` and re-linked my computer and it seems that the syncing is working correctly... However, the Dropbox widget in my top menu still displays the status "Connecting..."

johnpeach_0-1655735570185.png

which is odd.

Edit: I am going to stop worrying about this now, but I think it is some kind of issue with Dropbox's QT UI. Running it from the command line shows a warning from QT (I think) that an instruction is being ignored:

(dropbox:9180): LIBDBUSMENU-GLIB-WARNING **: 10:26:59.519: About to Show called on an item wihtout submenus.  We're ignoring it.

Maybe a support ticket could be raised for the dev team to fix this issue, which is that the Dropbox widget displays "Connecting..." even when it is actually working and syncing correctly.

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

@johnpeach wrote:

... However, the Dropbox widget in my top menu still displays the status "Connecting..." ...

Hi @johnpeach,

Dropbox widget realization seems not very stable and this is very old issue. Unfortunately, nobody from Dropbox' development takes care since Linux isn't first class citizen in Dropbox. There are different "symptoms" showing the issue (unstable communication from Dropbox application to the working environment, responsible for gadgets and their menus layout).

@johnpeach wrote:

Maybe a support ticket could be raised for the dev team to fix this issue, which is that the Dropbox widget displays "Connecting..." even when it is actually working and syncing correctly.

😁 Better don't rely! The post, referred above, is directly visible to development. Can you see some meaningful reaction? 🤷🤦 Unfortunately...

FJJ
New member | Level 2

Hello, I am also a Pop OS! user and I have this same issue, I would be very grateful for the dev team to fix this please.

zoe9kk
Explorer | Level 4

I am also using Pop!_OS and have the same problem. Has anyone found a fix?

MutationDevice
Helpful | Level 5

Same issue here. I believe it's a cosmetic/UI glitch. The daemon is actually working. Running dropbox status on the command line displays the real status.

I'm not sure this is related, but it looks suspicious. When I run dropbox start on the command line so I can see the console output, I get this warning:

(dropbox:5713): LIBDBUSMENU-GLIB-WARNING **: 16:53:26.397: About to Show called on an item wihtout submenus. We're ignoring it.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

MutationDevice Helpful | Level 5
    zoe9kk Explorer | Level 4
    FJJ New member | Level 2
    Здравко Legendary | Level 20
    johnpeach Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?